Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Zollern Trench

Guest Simon Bull

Guest Simon Bull

I cannot find the location of Zollern Trench which was the HQ of 11 Royal Sussex during the attack on Stuff Trench on 21/10/1916.

Can anyone help me?

Immediately N(E) of Thiepval...

Dave.

post-357-1145303776.jpg

Immediately N(E) of Thiepval...

Dave.

There is also "Zollern Trench East" (Z.T."West" is shown above) which continues east of the scan towards Courcelette. I can post that also ,if needed.

Dave.

Guest Simon Bull

Thanks Dave. Could I trouble you to put the other trench up as I can then compare them with the information I have to see which is the correct one.

Thanks for your help.

I think this will probably be my last such request for some time!

...voila!...

post-357-1145387663.jpg

I'm sure there will be a reward in heaven!

If there is, I hope someone enjoys it! There's no way I'll be seeing it if it's up there!!!! :ph34r:

(More interesting characters in the other place anyway! :D )

Dave.

• 5 years later...

Hello

I have been researching my Great Uncle , CSM Edwin Green DCM of 11th Battalion, The Royal Sussex Regiment. In doing so I received a considerable amount of help and advice in the "Soldiers" forum last week.

The reason for adding to this 6 year old thread is that I am particularly interested in the 11th Battalion's assualt on Stuff Trench on 21st October 1916. I know from the Battalion war diaries that the 11th moved from Authuille Wood to the area on 20th October, the HQ was set up in the Zollern Trench and the soldiers due to take part in the action took up positions around Stuff Redoubt and Bainbridge Trench. Edwin died during the assault on Stuff Trench on 21st October.

I have been trying to find a map of the area which shows both the jump off point and Stuff Trench which is both detailed and clear. The one posted by Croonaert above is excellent, sadly Stuff Trench is not covered by the images.

I would very much like to know if the map is commercially available as a reprint. If not, then would anyone who has a copy be willing to post an image showing both the Stuff Redoubt and Stuff Trench? Also, are the gridlines Latitude and Longitude?, the reason I ask is that I would like to be able to orientate the positions on a modern day map.

I would be grateful for any help!

Thank you

Peter

Peter.

P.M.me and i will send you scans of area you require. all the best JIM :thumbsup: