Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Collingwood Battalion

Terry

Does anyone have any information on this unit? I recently acquired a nice 1914 Star trio with clasp, plus a Victorian LSGC medal (which the fellow received in 1897) to 111215 CPO W.H.Rolls of the Collingwoods. His paperwork confirms all the medals, which means he must have been fiftyish at least in 1914!

Supposedly about half the unit was interned in Holland and most of the rest ended up as POW's. I have been told that only 22 Collingwoods, including Rolls, got back to England from Antwerp.

Is anyone able to provide more information on this battalion?

Cheers from Canada,

Terry

They were reformed and served in Gallipoli for a short while before being disbanded to bolster some of the other RND battalions. Some info here

Cheers

Terry

His service number is 119215 and there is no note about the issue of a Aug-Nov. clasp in the medal roll. His medals were clamed very late - March 1925. As such the chap probably landed in France but remained in Dunkirk (Which would account for him not being a POW or internee.)

His age could be the reason for being left at Dunkirk rather than proceeding to Antwerp. He didn't join the new Collingwood Battalion and remaned at Crystal Palace Depot (Maintenance Unit)

John

Hi John,

Thanks for the information. Yes, I slipped up in typing his number. The group hasn't arrived yet, but the fellow from whom I obtained it said that his service papers were with it. Hopefully somewhere in the paperwork is confirmation of the clasp.

Cheers, Terry

• 2 weeks later...

Terry,

The Collingwood Memorial on the Downs outside Blandford has two inscriptions, on opposite faces:

1. THE COLLINGWOOD BATTALION COMPLETED ITS TRAINING ON THESE DOWNS. THIS MEMORIAL IS ERECTED BY THE SURVIVORS.

2. IN MEMORY OF THE COMMANDING OFFICER, OFFICERS AND MEN OF THE COLLINGWOOD BATTn. ROYAL NAVAL DIVISION, WHO FELL IN ACTION IN GALLIPOLI, ON 4th JUNE 1915, WHEN THE BATTn. WAS PRACTICALLY DESTROYED

Hope this is helpful.

David

Many thanks for the great photo. I will make a copy to put with the medals,

Cheers from Canada

Terry

Quite a lot of background info on the Collingwoods can be found in Len Sellers' "RND" journal - sadly no longer produced, but you do see odd copies on Ebay from time to time with an extensive list of contents for each copy. The IWM also hold a set.

Martin

I have obtained a copy of "The 1914 Star to the Royal Navy & Royal Marines" which confirms that the old fellow (my age!) did indeed qualify for and receive the clasp.