Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

LIMBURG POW CAMP

Tom Morgan

Can anyone suggest any sources of information about Limburg POW Camp? Even quite basic details would be welcome.

wishes -

Tom

Tom,

Check out the link below, there are two pics - one of a memorial to the Irish who died at Limburg and a Limburg hospital ward.

http://www.greatwar.ie/mcdonald.html

The following paragraph is from the same site.

Roger Casement went to the Limburg POW Camp to try to recruit Irish POWs. He had little or no success. Out of a prisoner of war population of 2500, Casement managed to recruit 53. The 9th Munsters hung a effigy of Casement in no-man's land just to annoy the Germans. They tore up Casement's recruiting forms and told him, ‘In addition to being Irish Catholics, we have the honour to be British Soldiers.’

Ronnie.

Tom

If only I'd read this earlier. Wo161 at the PRO is an excellent source for POWs. It has an extremely comprehensive index of interviews with repatriated POWs.

I can do a look-up next time I'm up there or if you have a particular soldier in mind, I've copied the index so I ca check if his interview is included

Michael

Thanks, Ronnie and Michael.

No particular soldier in mind Michael - just wanted a bit of general info re the camp as I couldn't find it in the index of any of my books.

Best wishes -

Tom

• 2 years later...

Just bringing this thread up to the top - Hope you don't mind Tom.

As the forum has grown somewhat - anyone got anymore info on Limburg Pow Camp as one of the old boys in my village - his father was captured on 28th april 1917 and spent the rest of the war there.

Any more info pals

Glyn

Just bringing this thread up to the top - Hope you don't mind Tom.

As the forum has grown somewhat - anyone got anymore info on Limburg Pow Camp as one of the old boys in my village - his father was captured on 28th april 1917 and spent the rest of the war there.

Any more info pals

Glyn

glyn,this is al i have,i am helping someone whos g/father died there,cathedral town on the lahn,pop 10,500,the camp is near the town,its noted as the camp where irish POWs who were captured in 1914 with the purpose of recruiting an irish brigade,its the centre for a number of invalid working camps and hospitals in occupied territory,also the head camp for a certain number of men working in occupied territory,capacity 12,000,built of limestone,american POWs were also there,came under the german 8th army corps

My parents lived in Limburg for two years before returning to the States in 2003. I am rather familiar with the town. As mentioned, it's primary claim to fame is its Cathedral, which is noted and quite near the Lahn River. The Lahn is not particularly impressive especially in summer, though the occassional spring flood could be substainal (the town would not typically be subject to flooding). The town is just north of Frankfurt, and it's an easy commuter rail ride in now.

Limburg's cathedral was actually rather commonly painted in the 19th century, with typically rather exaggerated surrounding terrain. Because the river is not that significant, the surrounding landscape is actually not that steep/high. It's hilly, but not steep the way, say, the Rhine or even the Mosel valleys. Climate is mild for Germany. All other things being equal, there would be a lot worse places in Germany to be.

Best wishes,

Michael

Bernard / Michael

Thanks for the replies.

A long long shot but any thoughts as to getting a pic of the camp.

Glyn

Bernard / Michael

Thanks for the replies.

A long long shot but any thoughts as to getting a pic of the camp.

Glyn

glyn idont have one,but if you are lucky to get one can i have a copy,many thanks bernard

• 6 months later...

If you were to look at books on the trial of Roger Casement you will find the affidavits made by irishmen repatriated from Limburg POW camp and who gave evidence against Casement. If you send me your email I'll give you the list of books.

wig

Tom

I have been researching the Casement papers and those associated with the formation of the so-called German Irish Bigade for several months now, and there is no real description of the Limberg-Lahn Camp in any of these files. However, I'll

extract what there is and e-mail the information to you.

Terry Reeves

Edited by Terry_Reeves

prisonniers-de-guerre-1914-1918.chez.tiscali.fr/&anolg=65544

Numerous photographs of Limberg on this site.

Doug

Egbert

Great stuff

Unbedingt wunderbarer vieler Dank :unsure:

Glyn

• 4 months later...

5281 Spr Cyril BERRY, 2nd Aus Tun Coy was captured at Nieuport 11/7/1917. I have his service record in hand and I'm trying to determine which POW camps he was interned in.

A German POW camp document shows on 15/9/1917 he was interned in Dulmen POW camp.

A Evidence as to Officers or Men on Missing Lists document dated 18/1/1918 shows him interned at Hammelburg POW camp, although the solider making the sworn statement that he saw Spr BERRY captured (5437 Spr J. WIEDMER, 2nd Aus Tun Coy) is interned at Sagan POW camp and stated that Spr BERRY was captured at Dendemonde, Belgium on 22/7/1917. Not too sure how that one works.

Now here's where I get stuck. In an Extract from postcard from prsioner of war sent by Postal Censor dated 14/8/1917, Spr BERRY writes he's interned at Limburg POW camp.

Where is Limburg? I can find no mention of a POW camp at Limburg.

Can anyone provide any assistance?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Tim

Have just typed in Limgurg POW Camp on Google and its come up with some results you might be interested in, don't know how to do 'links' for you, Good Luck, Mick

Tim,

Have you been on the awm.gov.au site and read Cyril's red cross wounded and missing records? They make very interesting reading, apparently someone even saw him killed!

Doug

Tim,

Have you been on the awm.gov.au site and read Cyril's red cross wounded and missing records? They make very interesting reading, apparently someone even saw him killed!

Doug

G'Day Doug,

Yes, very interesting reading indeed. Especially the letter from my GGGM requesting info on Cyril and the irony that his brother Wilfred was carrying the despatches telling them them to return. In a cruel twist of fate, Wilfred was killed by a goods train in 1918 whilst a despatch rider. And then you can literally feel the joy in the letter written by Cyril's wife Ida, after she'd recieved a post card from him.

Cheers,

Tim

G'Day Friedhelm,

Great set of photos. Thank you so much.

Cheers,

Tim