Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte Owen Sherratt

whogan

Hi Folks,

My grandfather's brother, Owen Sherratt #3033318 1st Depot n. 1st COR #2 D.D. was demobilized, medically unfit for general service May 31, 1919.

He arrived in England 4-3-18. He landed in France and TOS 2 CMR 22-6-18. Was in field 6-8-18. On 26-8-18 he was involved in the field in the Battle of Arras where he was injured. By 29-8-18 he was taken to 12 Staty. with knee injuries but also later diagnosed with "Neurasthenia". His remaining time in England was spent in hospital until shipping back to Canada February 24, 1919. He then spent 2 months in hospital in Toronto.

His field notes were in his service records for the period of August 26-28th, 1918. Very haunting to read what he went through during that time.

My question about Owen is. All of his records indicate he was born in Calgary, Alberta and that his parents were living in Fernie, BC. I know for fact that he was born in England, came to Canada about 1910. His parents have never set foot in Canada, however his two brothers and a sister did come to Canada around the same time period. His sister was noted as a contact on one form, in Coleman, Alberta.

Was it normal for British subjects to claim Canadian birth to be able to enlist in CEF?

Also, after Owen returned, he disappeared from family contact. No one seems to know where he went though I am attempting to locate his whereabouts. There is no record in his service records of death notification, nor pension. My grandfather's service records do indicate this information.

On discharge his proposed address is noted, however it changes on different forms. As well his pay records indicate they were changed from Bank of Commerce Timmins, Ontario to "Imperial Oil" Hamilton Ontario. Would anyone know if this might mean he went to work for Imperial Oil after his discharge?

Any thoughts appreciated,

Thank you

Wendy

Do you hae names for his parents/siblings?

The 1901 census has an entry for a Sherratt family in Burslem, Staffordshire. The family is Reuben (40) and his wife Martha (26), and their children Esther (14), Florrie (10), Owen (5), Reuben (3) and annie (1).

Given the ages of MArtha and Esther, I suspect a second marriage may have been involved.

Do you hae names for his parents/siblings?

The 1901 census has an entry for a Sherratt family in Burslem, Staffordshire. The family is Reuben (40) and his wife Martha (26), and their children Esther (14), Florrie (10), Owen (5), Reuben (3) and annie (1).

Given the ages of MArtha and Esther, I suspect a second marriage may have been involved.

I do have the 1901 records -- the surname was spelled incorrectly. He was at home with Dad - Owen Sr. Mother Mary, siblings Nellie, John and Herbert in Talke Pits. Owen came to Canada about 1910. He is on the 1911 Canadian Census, living with a group of other men in Coleman, Alberta. He moved to Northern Ontario sometime before 1916 where he first signed up.

The records you found are another branch in my tree. The Reuban you mention did marry twice and have a son Owen b. 1896. There are several Owen's in my line.

My family geneaology is online at: http://kidsturncentral2.com/sherratt/surnamesherratt.htm

The Owen I am researching was born September 20, 1893.

Thanks

Wendy