Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Langemarck Cemetery

ypresman

Hi

Visiting Langemarck German cemetery yesterday, noticed a lot of digging, heavy plant machinery, etc towards the RE Div marker & bunker on the NE side of the cemetery. Does anyone know what this is all about?

Cheers

Marc

They are building an 'Information point' and a new parking.

langemark%2025.jpg

This maquette is showing the new infrastructure (on the left) and the higher part of the cemetery (on the right). The blocks on the maquette are the shelters on the cemetery.

Picture of the maquette is taken from the backside of the cemetery, towards the street.

Some info (sorry only in Dutch) and pictures of the works here and here.

Hi

Many thanks for that Robert... ;)..... do you know when it will be completed? Will they update the toilets?... :D

Is it just me, or all the major sites on the salient (don't mention Tyne Cot..) gearing up for a special occasion in a few years time?

Everyone seems to be doing the regeneration thing..

Personally for me its good thing, as I can go to the toilet in luxury now....

Cheers

Marc

Will they update the toilets?... :D

At least it has one. Very useful for Mrs H last Sunday (me & the backs of cemetery walls are well acquainted).

John

Is it just me, or all the major sites on the salient (don't mention Tyne Cot..) gearing up for a special occasion in a few years time?

Possible, but maybe not in the case of Langemark. The KgV has ,for quite a few years now, been renovating many of it's cemeteries worldwide (though the sheer bulk of work required in the east since the fall of communism and the "opening up" of many of the countries there has forced them to concentrate more in that area) and opening information/exhibition centres (and "Friedensparks" - 2 to press and another on the way) at some of the major cemeteries (eg. la Cambe which is now long established). In many of the cemeteries that aren't scheduled for such treatment, it's possible to obtain info in the form of multi-lingual pamphlets/brochures, etc (mainly for WW2 cemeteries, but I believe that this policy is to be extended). I don't think all this is geared up for any particular date, it's just that it now seems KgV policy to do such things and will be an ongoing thing.

Dave.

Hi

Went to Langemarck last month and the toilets were shut!! Went over the w/e and the urinal has gone!!

Methinks the pinching of battlefield artifacts is going to far this time..... :D

Anyway it just seems that all these changes are coinciding with all the 'major'sites on the Salient.

In certain cases its for the best, but for others maybe not....

Cheers

Marc.

Guest Simon Bull
Ever visit an American cemetery? We win the battle of loos hands down! :P

Very true. When we visited Bony the toilets were spotless and we were greeted by the Cemetery Keeper (sorry forgot his official title) with a cup of very decent coffee.