The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Acting Captain H.F.Hawkeswood

Steve Bramley

Hi All,

I was hoping that Terry may be able to offer some further information regarding this officer. In the course of our research, fellow forum member Chris and myself have obtained the service records of Lt (Acting Captain) Harold Fraser Hawkeswood. Between his enlistment in November 1914 to June 17 he advanced to Sergeant in the 9th Royal Sussex, then obtaining a commission in the 1/5th Lincolnshires. After the war Hawkeswood joined the Graves commission, Cemetery caretakers branch, serving as adjutant. He relinquished his role in June 1920 due to a rather unfortunate injury sustained playing football. Hawkeswood was from Brighton.

Regards,

Steve.

Steve

Sorry to let you down but I can't help here.

I have no records of CWGC personnel. I would suspect that CWGC would not release any info on individual staff either. All I can tell you is that his grave is not amongst those of staff/ex-staff which are now in CWGC care.

What are you trying to discover?

Hi Terry,

Thanks for the reply. He didn't die, he tried to enlist again in the second war. I was wondering what exactly his role in the Graves commission would have been?,

Regards,

Steve.

• 6 years later...

Hello. This is my first post here. My Great-Great-Uncle Arthur Winter ROWSTON served with then 2Lt HAWKESWOOD in 1/5 Lincs, and went missing on a raid on 08 SEP 1917 which is mentioned in the Battalion's war diary. We have a letter in the family archive from Lt HAWKESWOOD dated 22 SEP 1917, along with a last letter sent on Pte ROWSTON's instructions when he failed to return on 08 SEP 1917. We have no known grave for him.

I have a few photos of Pte ROWSTON, who 2Lt HAWKESWOOD called his "servant" in his letter. I am not clear if this means that he was Mr HAWKESWOOD's batman or not. Does anyone with any history of Lt HAWKESWOOD know if there is a diary that he might have kept, and if there is any mention of Pte ROWSTON in such a document?

Thanks.

Hi Ken,

Welcome to the forum. I will have a look through my files for any information regarding Arthur Rowston, I am certainly familiar with his name. I'm also sure that 'servant' would translate as 'batman'. Officers and their servants often became quite close. I will reply to you in full when I have had a look through my files,

Regards,

Steve.

PS I do have some further information for you if you could pm your e-mail to me.

• 4 weeks later...

Steve,

I have PM'd you, but I have had no response? Can you let me know if you have anything at all about Arthur Rowston?

Thanks.

RichKen2006