Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Kings Regiment First World War database

liverpool annie

Can I please have a moan ....... ?? on the web site - it says please wait at least 20 days !!

I sent this email yesterday ...

Subject: King's Regiment

I realise you are very busy - but I requested information about my Grandfather James William Howarth on 13th March 2006 and haven't heard anything yet and I wondered if you could tell me if you have been able to find him !

I'd appreciate your help

Thanking you in advance !

and I got this back today !!

Thank you for your recent enquiry to the Museum of Liverpool Life, Kings Regiment First World War database

All of our social history and archaeology teams are currently working on developing our proposed Museum of Liverpool. Unfortunately this means we are unable to answer enquiries. Information about the Museum of Liverpool Life is available on our website www.liverpoollife.org.uk.

We can only make a limited amount of information from the database available on our website. However, additional information such as arranging to view our War Diaries, applying for service records, helpful contact addresses, and helpful publications, can be found on our biographical research page. http://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/liverpo...diers/research/

If you are looking for general family details, such as census information or family businesses, you may also want to contact the Liverpool Record Office, Central Library, William Brown Street, Liverpool L3 8EW http://archive.liverpool.gov.uk/.

Please contact us in July 2006 if you still require an answer to your enquiry and we will reply as soon as possible.

Thank you for your patience.

Clara Paillard

Administrative Assistant

Now why couldn't they have sent me a reply when I first applied ! instead of me having to ask ??

Grrrrrrrr !

Annie

I must also complain regarding the King's Mesuem. I contacted them and requested a copy photo of an officer they have. I was asked to put my request in writing (which i did). Alas, a few weeks later i recieved a reply stating they only had the original photo and could not copy direct from it. In order for me to have a copy made they would have to have a negative taken from the original photo (i know they have a negative of the mentioned photo already). Cost? a mere £85 plus post. I do not have the officers medals so i am not after enhancing prices ( i collect militaria to the Liverpool Pals), however, i do like to keep a photographic record.

If anyone from the King's wants to contact me i will gladly pass on the reference for both the original photograph and the negative.

Bill

ps i also lent them some paperwork relating to three brothers who served in the Pals over twelve months ago - this has since been lost!!

I must say the actual data base set up (by a forum member) is excellent and has no doubt helped a lot of family historians out. There does seem to be a lack of help from the Museum staff. I have actually stopped requesting any help from them. They did show interest in having a display relating to post war papers/letters etc., i have to the Pals, but going off past experince i am sorry to say i would not allow them to display anything.

Bill

I must say the actual data base set up (by a forum member) is excellent and has no doubt helped a lot of family historians out. There does seem to be a lack of help from the Museum staff. I have actually stopped requesting any help from them. They did show interest in having a display relating to post war papers/letters etc., i have to the Pals, but going off past experince i am sorry to say i would not allow them to display anything.

Bill

hiya, can i just say that if you contact forum member 'Promenade' hehas a wealth of information regarding the Kings men (my grandad was in 7th Kings), for a bit of 'barter' he is happy to provide whatever information he has - by the way 'Promenade' I'm still trying to find the photo and have sent for grandad's birth certificate to see if he had any more than his given name! Will keep you posted.

Annette

Can I please have a moan ....... ?? on the web site - it says please wait at least 20 days !!

I sent this email yesterday ...

and I got this back today !!

Now why couldn't they have sent me a reply when I first applied ! instead of me having to ask ??

Grrrrrrrr !

Annie

Annie, if you think that's bad, although not WW1 related. I sent off for my uncles WW2, R.A.F. service records at Innsworth almost 3 months ago, filled in the next of kin form, his birth certificate, £30.00 cheque, in fact everything they asked for, after numerous phone calls still nothing, just got my bank statement through today, my cheque to them still has not been presented!!!....in three days time the 3 month period for presenting the cheque expires...I bet the first thing I get off them will be a letter saying my cheques no good....fuming is an understatement.

John.

Annie, if you think that's bad, although not WW1 related. I sent off for my uncles WW2, R.A.F. service records at Innsworth almost 3 months ago, filled in the next of kin form, his birth certificate, £30.00 cheque, in fact everything they asked for, after numerous phone calls still nothing, just got my bank statement through today, my cheque to them still has not been presented!!!....in three days time the 3 month period for presenting the cheque expires...I bet the first thing I get off them will be a letter saying my cheques no good....fuming is an understatement.

John.

I suppose that's because Simon Jones has gone, he was the lad who set up the King's museum in 2000. H put a lot of hard work into it.

Burnsey :P

I feel I must come in on this. I work for a museum and I utterly sympathise with the Mus Lpl Life. Museums are often underfunded and understaffed and find it difficult to allocate resources to "customer enquiries" - museum staff are dedicated folk and DO empathise with helping the public - that's why they are there !!

Secondly it sometimes occurs to me that too many people a) do not do as much research as they could and rely on others, and b insist on information immediately. OK I may be putting myself in for some flak here as there are lots of people who for one reason or another CANNOT get to a library, museum or whatever.

Finally, I'd say - as someone who was born in Liverpool and with an interest in the KLR that ALL the staff I have known at the Mus Lpl Life have been helpful, generous and friendly.

DON'T KNOCK THEM !!

Julian

Hi,

As a long time associate of the Kings Regt indeed I am a member of the Kings Regt Museum Advisory Committee I cannot let some of the comments below pass without some comment and without adding explanatory information from the 'other side of the fence'. I tried to call the Museum of Liverpool Life today but was unable to talk to anyone so I hope that they will excuse my replying on their behalf - so this is my personal view. Before I do I would like to applaud and thank Julian for his apposite comments.

Over the past 10 years I have amassed a lot of information on the men of the Kings Liverpool Regt who served in the Great War (information on over 70,000 officers and men). This has been obtained from all sources and is contained in a database which I make available to the Museum of Liverpool Life, RHQ Kings and the Museum of the Liverpool Scottish. This information is FREELY available to relatives and interested parties on a best endeavours basis (there is always the option of paying for such a service using one of the many professional reseachers who will carry out the task). Most of the queries queries sent to the Museum are handled now over the internet and as word has spread the number of queries received has mushroomed so that one member of staff could be allocated to answering queries all day long! To further complicate matters over the past year there has been a certain amount of staff turnover and to boot more and more staff time is having to be devoted to preparing and planning for a new museum which is currently being developed. From first hand knowledge I know how hard the staff have worked to keep on top of the queries (which I say again are answered free of charge - some other museums charge £15 an hour) through demanding and turbulent times and the management of the Museum is to be commended for making staff available to carry out this function. As competing demands have grown there has been less and less time to answer queries - it is hoped that this situation will be remedied as soon as possible. It is a shame that there is hardly any public statement about the people who have been helped and provided with photos and information on their relatives - these far outweight the few complaints that received. So come on guys lets hold back on the criticism and thank not only the Museum of Liverpool Life but all Regimental Museums for the stirling work that they do for us.

Joe Devereux

Hi Promenade - Joe!

First of all - let me say - I know how hard you have worked on all the information regarding the Regiment and I also know - how freely you have shared that information with myself and others !!

My "moan" was with the website - !

you will note that in my original email - I did acknowledge the fact that they were probably busy !! but a small updated note that they would not be able to resume research until July 2006 was all that would be required and would save people like me - ( who live thousands of miles away - who cannot get to the Museum themselves or just pick up the phone to make a local phone call ) - days and weeks of frustration !!

Please don't take my comments as a personal affront - that was not my intention .... I was not having a go at you !! I also know that there are people who devote all their spare time and effort to help people like me ! and I do appreciate them !

Maybe you can make the suggestion that a short note - saying .......

" Please be aware that we are unable to answer requests at this time - we hope to resume in July !!"

that is all that would be required to keep criticism at bay !

Annie

Hi,

It is a shame that there is hardly any public statement about the people who have been helped and provided with photos and information on their relatives - these far outweight the few complaints that received. So come on guys lets hold back on the criticism and thank not only the Museum of Liverpool Life but all Regimental Museums for the stirling work that they do for us.

Joe Devereux

I received very good service from the Museum about 2 years ago.

Ok I had to wait a few months for them to free up time to deal with my request but the two separate requests were competently dealt with in a friendly way and the quality made the wait worthwhile.

Thanks to you Joe once again for your help at that time via this Forum.

Regards

John

Hi,

It is a shame that there is hardly any public statement about the people who have been helped and provided with photos and information on their relatives - these far outweight the few complaints that received. So come on guys lets hold back on the criticism and thank not only the Museum of Liverpool Life but all Regimental Museums for the stirling work that they do for us.

Joe Devereux

I received very good service from the Museum about 2 years ago.

Ok I had to wait a few months for them to free up time to deal with my request but the two separate requests were competently dealt with in a friendly way and the quality made the wait worthwhile.

Thanks to you Joe once again for your help at that time via this Forum.

Regards

John

Secondly it sometimes occurs to me that too many people a) do not do as much research as they could and rely on others, and b insist on information immediately.

I worked for the Peak District Mines Historical Society many moons ago and spent a lot of time in their museum. I can totally empathise with Julian's comment above. It is these enquiries that take up the most time and cause huge irritation.

Finally, I'd say - as someone who was born in Liverpool and with an interest in the KLR that ALL the staff I have known at the Mus Lpl Life have been helpful, generous and friendly.

I couldn't agree more

I'm personally indebted both to the museum and to Joe Devereux for information received, all free of charge!

I was going to suggest that any delay is probably due to understaffing and underfunding, like everything else these days

I would imagine they are completely overwhelmed with queries

A few years ago I was advised that when writing to a regimental museum (not this one) requesting information it might be worth including a donation as the museums are often understaffed and underfunded

Not getting at you Annie. I'm only speaking as I find.

Bet you are sorry you started this now LOL!!

Everyone is allowed a little moan now and then :)

As you say, they could have a note on their site or contact form advising of delays, and, as they mentioned to you, that all staff are currently occupied in a larger project and are unable to answer queries

Caryl

Hi Caryl and everybody !!

Thanks for all the feedback and opinions !

now I'll drop the subject ...... !!

Annie :rolleyes:

Hi Promenade - Joe!

First of all - let me say - I know how hard you have worked on all the information regarding the Regiment and I also know - how freely you have shared that information with myself and others !!

My "moan" was with the website - !

you will note that in my original email - I did acknowledge the fact that they were probably busy !! but a small updated note that they would not be able to resume research until July 2006 was all that would be required and would save people like me - ( who live thousands of miles away - who cannot get to the Museum themselves or just pick up the phone to make a local phone call ) - days and weeks of frustration !!

Please don't take my comments as a personal affront - that was not my intention .... I was not having a go at you !! I also know that there are people who devote all their spare time and effort to help people like me ! and I do appreciate them !

Maybe you can make the suggestion that a short note - saying .......

" Please be aware that we are unable to answer requests at this time - we hope to resume in July !!"

that is all that would be required to keep criticism at bay !

Annie

Hi Joe,

You might have about me from Jim Brade I was instrumental in researching the Dingle Lads. But I applaud what you say I was just getting a dig in for Simon Jones who did a brilliant job with the Museum. Keep up the good work. I am always available on line because I have the SOLDIERS DIED CD ROM FOR BOTH WARS BUT UNFORTUNATELY IT IS ONLY THE ARMY. SO FEEL FREE.

burnsey :rolleyes:

• 5 months later...

Hi there, just to follow on with this thread.

I wrote to the Kings (liverpool) Regiment Database on August 26th requesting information on Bertram Beddows, today I received an email from the curator, Matthew Buck with the information I had requested.

Really pleased both with the information and speed that my request was processed.

If you are interested I have included some of the information especially for members of the GWF that have replied to my requests in the past, many thanks.

Bertram Beddows, Private, 33523, "B" Company. 15th Battalion. Cheshire Regiment, 24th October 1917. Age 21. Son of Mr. and Mrs. William Beddows, of 28, Dale View. Garston, Liverpool. Tyne Cot Memorial, Zonnebeke, West-Vlaanderen, Belgium, Panel 61 to 63

Born Ironbridge, Shrops. Son of William and Martha Beddows of 6 Livingstone St off Hinchley Rd Leicester and later of 49 Bolton Rd, Leicester - as of March 1920 they were living at 28 Dale View, Garston Liverpool. As of March 1920 his siblings were William Beddows aged 31 of 6 Livingstone S, Leicester, J Beddows aged 22 who was in India, and Henry Beddows aged 20 of 6 Hanover Place, Liverpool, Ellen Beddows aged 39 of Birmingham, Lizzie Beddows aged 35 of Liverpool, Alice Beddows aged 31 of Liverpool, Ethel Beddows aged 24 of Birmingham and Emma Beddows aged 26 of Staffs. Enlisted Liverpool 14/7/11. Age at enlistment 17 years 4 months, occupation coal miner (he previously work for the West Cannock Colliery at Hedensford) , height 5' 3", weight 107 lbs, eyes brown, hair brown, religion CofE. Mobilised 8/8/14 and posted to 1 KLR 16/3/15 - he was previously in 3 (SR) Battalion KLR. It seems he was illiterate (unable to both read and write). To France 17/3/15 from Southampton and joined Battalion in the field 20/3/15. Admitted 2 Stationary Hospital (Boulogne) 16/5/15 (gsw arm and hand). Evacuated

to England on the HS Salta 18/5/15. Awarded 14 days Field Punishment No 2 and forfeits 14 days pay for being absent without leave from 5/12/15 to 14/12/15. Transferred to 3 Cheshire Regt 17/11/15. To France 18/12/15 and attd 19 Infantry Base Depot. Posted to 9 Cheshire Regt in the field 30/12/15. Admitted 59 Field Ambulance 29/2/16 (influenza). Rejoined Battalion 5/3/16. Admitted 45 Casualty Clearing Station 8/7/16 (gsw hand received 7/7/16 -his ring finger l hand was almost severed - 3rd finger was amputated 20/7/16). Evacuated to England on the HS Jan Breydel 10/7/16 - he was under hospital treatment 11/7/16 to 19/10/16. Forfeits 10 days pay for being AWOL? 28/10/16 to 6/11/16. Joined 3 Cheshire Regt. To France 17/1/17 and joined 4 Infantry Base Depot 19/1/17. Posted to 15 Cheshire Regt 21/1/17 and joined them in the Field the following day. Awarded 7 days Field Punishment No 2 for irregular conduct 17/7/17. Admitted 107 Field Ambulance 19/8/17 (gsw l knee and r arm). Rejoined Battalion 28/8/17. Killed in action 24/10/17. (Soldiers Papers PRO - WO363/B1397 frame 544)

Joined 1 KLR 20/3/15 at Bethune in 19th Reinforcement Draft. (1KLR Bn Diary)

And I bet there's not too many survive amongst the burnt reocrds that are so comprehensive. Handy to be able to get it "up north", rather than having to schlep to Kew.

John