Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private Horace Southern Dawson

Guest jackblyth

Guest jackblyth

In the graveyard of St Peter's Church, Navenby, Lincolnshire we have a Commonwealth War Grave. Buried there is a Private Horace Southern Dawson who died on 23rd April 1917, aged 24. His gravestone says that he died on active service. The Church Burial Register records his burial on the 28th April 1917 and gives his abode as Newcastle, formerly Navenby. I have been asked to research Pte Dawson and write his story for the Parish magazine, hopefully in time for the November issue to coincide with Remembrance Day. I have most of his story put together, including his family tree back to his great grandfather. I know where he lived up until he enlisted at Elverton Street, London SW. However, I cannot find how he died or, for that matter, exactly how he died and it would be good if I could get closure to the story. The "Soldiers Died 1914-1918" book gives his place of death as "Home". Can anyone help me with this, please?

Jack

Welcome to the Forum

Just to add a little to your information. The SDGW has him as Died How: Died - Home, which indicates that he died at home of something war related eg TB or some other war related illness. I suggest that you check the local papers of 1917 for further information.

I take it that you have details of his family from the census e.g. his father was been born in Bassingham, Lincoln - occupation: Granite Merchant's clerk.

Myrtle

Guest jackblyth

Myrtle,

Many thanks for your message. Yes, I've got all his family details, thank you. My problem is that his burial entry gives his abode at the time of death as Newcastle and so far I have identified four places of that name in the UK. Apart from the illnesses which you suggest, I wonder if he could have been involved in an industrial accident, perhaps in a munitions factory or in a mine.

Regards, Jack

Jack

I would check the local papers and/or send for his death certificate to find out the details. I notice that CWGC have him listed as died: 24th April 1917.

Myrtle

Guest jackblyth

Myrtle,

I had a friend check the newspapers, for the period after Horace Dawson's death, in Newcastle upon Tyne. The local history chap in Newcastle under Lyme library also did a check for me. Neither found any trace of Pte Dawson. The only death certificate I can find in the GRO Index is for a Horace Dawson who died in Chorlton - no mention of Newcastle. I guess I'll just have to order that one if only to eliminate it from the investigation but, there again, I might get lucky.

Jack

Jack

Have you checked the local papers for Navenby where he is buried ? As he lived there before Newcastle and is buried there, it is more likely that there will be an account in the local paper.

Myrtle

Guest jackblyth

Myrtle,

Yes, I've done that. I live in Navenby and I have a reader's ticket for the Lincolnshire Archives. The problem is that Horace Dawson, despite what it says in the Church Burial Register, never lived in Navenby. His mother did. He was born in Banbury, moved to Leicester then on to Islington.

Jack

Jack

Although he didn't live in Navenby I wouldn't be surprised if the local paper for Navenby didn't contain a snippet regarding his death. I've noticed, while searching many rural local papers of the time, mention of sons, nephews and grandsons from other parts of the country who have been injured or killed. If the fine tooth- comb approach doesn't work I suggest that you start on the Islington newspapers. B)

Myrtle

Guest jackblyth

Myrtle,

Thanks again for your suggestions. I've spent a considerable amount o time in Lincoln Central Library looking at microfilms of the local newspapers for the period April to December 1917. All to no avail. However, your suggestion of looking at the Islington newspapers is a good one and I will try that next. I'll let you know, eventually, what I find.

Jack

Jack

Good luck with your search and yes, let me know how it goes: I am interested to hear more about Horace Southern Dawson.

Myrtle