Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Kimberley Trip

ColynB

Hi

I am just catching up with the forum after a week trip up to Kimberley. I managed to photograph a couple of hundred WWI graves for the database, and a lot of Boer War/WWII stuff also.I intend returning in July to finish off as I had missed a few due mainly to the long grass over the whole of the West End cemetery.

Regards from Cape Town

I would be interested in hearing more about your research, please excuse my ignorance but why are there so many WW1 Graves in South Africa?

Moving away from the Great War Thread my ambition is to visit SA and follow my Grandfathers footsteps he took during the Boer War.

Good luck with your research,

Regards,

Scottie.

• 2 years later...

Dear Colyn,

Is it possible that you have a photograph of the grave of Sergeant 56311 H V GODWIN? He died on 11 February 1917 and, according to the Commonwealth War Graves Commission, is buried in Kimberley (West End) Cemetery Ref: Bl.G.Row F.17.RC Sect.

I am doing family history research on his family and have only just come across your message on the Great War Forum.

Richard Hensman

Interesting thread for me - My Great Grandfather Private 5819 William CLARK served with the 2nd Buffs on the Modder River from 1899-1902. I have his medals -

Relief of Kimberley

Driefontien

Transvaal

Pardeburg

Orange Free State

I have often tried to look using Google Earth but that area is not well served.

All the very best

Neil

Sadly Colyn Brookes is no longer with us, he passed away in July of this year.

Richard, Can you please contact the South African War Graves Project in regard to your photograph.

http://www.southafricawargraves.org/index.htm

Interesting thread for me - My Great Grandfather Private 5819 William CLARK served with the 2nd Buffs on the Modder River from 1899-1902. I have his medals -

Relief of Kimberley

Driefontien

Transvaal

Pardeburg

Orange Free State

All the very best

Neil

Dear Colyn,

Is it possible that you have a photograph of the grave of Sergeant 56311 H V GODWIN? He died on 11 February 1917 and, according to the Commonwealth War Graves Commission, is buried in Kimberley (West End) Cemetery Ref: Bl.G.Row F.17.RC Sect.

I am doing family history research on his family and have only just come across your message on the Great War Forum.

Richard Hensman

Very sad to hear about Colin. I can not promise anything but let me see what I can do about the pictures you require.

I am very sorry to hear of Colyn's death. Will contact the South African War Graves Project as suggested and also look forward to hearing from you, Frank, if you find anything that may assist!

Best Wishes, Richard

Hello "Reklaw",

I emailed Ralph Maclean at the Project nearly a week ago but have heard nothing from him. Have I done the right thing or is there another way that you would suggest to contact the Project?

Richard

Richard

Ralph goes away wrking on the Canadian oilfields for weeks at a time.

Doubtless he will reply to you when he next returns to his domestic base.

Harry

Sorry Richard, I was away myself. Its true, Ralph is away too, but he will attend to it ASAP, I will let the local representative know that you are looking for the grave, maybe he can assist so long.

Hello "Reklaw",

I emailed Ralph Maclean at the Project nearly a week ago but have heard nothing from him. Have I done the right thing or is there another way that you would suggest to contact the Project?

Richard

Richard,

I have your photograph.

Please contact me off list and I will arrange to mail it to you. The national co-ordinator had a copy which made our lives much easier.

Glad we could assist

• 1 month later...

Relief of Kimberley

Driefontien

Transvaal

Pardeburg

Orange Free State

All the very best

Neil

Neil

My Grandfather also served with the 2nd Buffs in South Africa (Jan 1900 - Oct 1902) and I too have his medals although without the clasp for Kimberley. I have paid a brief visit to Paardeberg - there is a small musieum which is very interesting. I have also recently purchased a copy of a drawing of the battle scene drawm by a R Caton-Woodville RI - if you would like a copy I would be pleased to oblige.

regards

Robin

Robin,

YES YES YES!

How brilliant, I imagine our Grandfathers would have known eachother wouldn't you?

I'd love a copy togther with any pics you took etc....

All the best

Neil

PS My email - (clarkneil@hotmail.co.uk)