Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Award of Military Medal

michaeluk007

Can anybody tell me if a military medal was awarded with a certificate or citation over the great war,

Thanks

Hello

"citations" as such where made - but 99% are NOT in the London Gazette

They are hard to come by - I think they exist though for the Tank Corps :unsure:

Ian

Although i don't have the medal,my Grandads Uncle was awarded the MM in 1918,with the 8th West Yorks,and a few years ago my Grandad gave me the original citation that came with the medal, signed by the CO,plus a slip that stated the date of the award being Gazzetted,in the London Gazzette.

Wether this is all that came with the Medal,i am not sure,but i would have thought there would have been some sort of scroll that came with it,or a certificate.

Strange thing is,that i have never been able to find it on the London Gazzette online records,but then i believe it can be a bit of a Difficult site to use sometimes.

All the best.

Simon.

Simon

Is this the type of form you have seen

Regards Kevin

post-9-1144681597.jpg

Generally all that accompanied the MM {or DCM;etc;that matter}was either a typed slip acknowledging the award or a Divisional/Brigade/Etc certificate listing all awards to those men so awarded them,often,but not always a Gallantry/Bravery Certificate was awarded prior to the award of such a Medal,but by no means in every case,local papers of the period are probably the best bet for finding something close to an official citation as press releases were sent out with scant details of the action that resulted in the award.

Simon

There is also another form

Regards Kevin

post-9-1144681713.jpg

Some learned pal maybe able to answer a question for me? Did all gallantry Medals have to be applied for?

Regards Kevin

No Gallantry awards would have been dispatched to the recipient by registered post or presented @ an official presentation ceremony,often if serving O/S the ribbon bar would be presented & the actual medal sent to his /her home @ a later date.

Many of the awards later in the war were presented to the recipients in 1919 once the men had returned to the UK by local dignitaries, though I have seen one award where the medal was lost en route to the local council!

The awards were also made to next of kin, as in the case of one Harry Betts MC DCM to his mother in 1919. Now, where have I heard that name before....?

Steve.

All three @ once I believe???

Thanks for the reply, but as in the first attachment, it states " In compliance with your request of the 7/12/1919,i herewith foreward to your ----------" Thus leading me to ask the question, because this implies to me that he had to ask for the Medal. I suspect that he recieved the ribbon in the November of 1918 as this was the last date in the Battalion Diary that Medal ribbons where presented by the Divisional Commander.

Regards Kevin

Possibly he was concerned that it hadn't turned up,being a late award I suspect there were many hundreds to be delivered & possibly he was getting impatient,.........?

"citations" as such where made - but 99% are NOT in the London Gazette

They are hard to come by - I think they exist though for the Tank Corps :unsure:

Citations for awards and honours recommended or made to personnel serving in Australian forces may be seen on the Australian War Memorial's website. Access the biographical database and then go to Honours and Awards (Recommendations: First World War). The citations I have seen for MMs are not precisely in the same language as those gazetted for other awards, but they get the message across.