Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mystery Officer

roy litchfield

Hello all,

This is a pencil sketch of an officer post the Great War, does anybody know who he is?

Best wishes Roy

post-1306-1144601675.jpg

I don't know who it is, but it has a United States Army look about it.

roger.

Yes Phil, and the tunic fastening to the top, negative tie.

I agree, and that holster has a wild west style with the top strap over it to give that quick draw we didn't do that over here! Also I agree the neck line is not of a Uk service dress pattern.

Cheers,

Rob

Had a look at the date of the picture 17-4-21 right period, so not one of our American friends. Can the boys across the water cast comment or is it one of your sketches Des?

Rob

Absolutely correct it is Micheal Collins, I have a print of this

regards

Arm

Well done Gavin and Roger, I bought this sketch some time ago at an antique fair at Huntingdon.

I had a hunch that it was "The Big Fellow" and I often wonder how things would have turned out had he not been killed so early in his short life?

The date on the sketch is 17/3/21, and I was told that it was probably based on a newspaper photograph of the period. Are there any comments on this from our pals across the water?

Best wishes Roy

Roy,

I seem to recall that it would have been sketched from a newspaper photo of him walking.

I too wonder how Irelands history would have been different if had lived.

regards

Arm

Roy,

Not sure if you would be interested but i have some photos I took a few years ago of where he was born and where he was shot and killed. If you e-mail me I could dig them out and send them over to you.

regards

Arm

Thanks Arm have sent a PM.

M13pqb, can you tell me where the photo comes from? It's spot on.

Best wishes Roy

I had a hunch that it was "The Big Fellow" and I often wonder how things would have turned out had he not been killed so early in his short life?

Or indeed if he had died earlier.

Roland.

The same could be said for all those who died in the war, writers, artists, politicians, fathers - could be a completely different world now if they had all lived - same goes for all victims of war really.

Regards