Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unidentified uniform- help please.

Fransmoi

post-11508-1144580037.jpg

This photograph was in an old family album with no names - On the back in Gaelic it has " A boy from our place" a Stornoway saying I'm told- but may be a red herring.The family was definitely Highland though.

It would help me to identify him if I knew the regiment and likely period.

(To make sure we leave a better trail for OUR grandchildren to follow we need to name our pics! )

Fransmoi

Inverness

Hello,

My take on the picture is it is pre First war and as it was taken in London from the photographers details at the bottom. So it could be a London Scottish photo as no discernable tartan and not one of the common Highlander Regiments.

So I go for the London Scottish who had a plain greyish kilt.

I shall follow this one with interest.

Cheers,

Rob

Rob,

I'm with you on this :)

Looks like he is wearing a Hodden grey kilt of the London Scottish. Also, the sporran badge (a thistle), I think is worn by the London Scottish.

The glengarry badge with blackcock feather is also similar to the London Scotish.

Hope this helps

Tom McC

Cheers Tom,

Cap badge is smaller than I remember the London Jocks to be but all other paths led to them.

Cheers, :)

Rob

I'd agree, and bear in mind that the photo is probably Victorian (judging by the firearm), so the badge wouldn't have been the badge that Rob remembers. The facing colour on the collar and cuffs looks OK to be London Scottish blue.

Fransmoi,

To be more precise it's probably a member of No.1 (Highland)Company, 15th Middlesex(London Scottish) Rifle Volunteer Corps whose H.Q. was located at 8 Adelphi Terrace.

The Corps consisted of six companies which were located as follows;-

No.1(Highland) Coy - 10 Pall Mall East.

No.2(City) Coy - The Oriental Bank.

No.3(Northern) Coy - Rosemary Hall, Islington.

No.4(Central) Coy - Scottish Corporation House.

No.5(Southern) Coy - 68 Jermyn Street.

No.6(Western)Coy - Chesterfield House.

The Corps was composed of Scotsmen living in the London area which was accepted by the War Office on the 2nd November 1859.

Looking at the photo, I would think it was certainly pre-1881.

Graham.

Has a Martini-Henry rifle, but I don't know when the L.S. changed over to the Long Lee-Metford.

DrB

:)

Graham I love the precision of your answers keep going.

Inpressed from Oxfordshire.

Rob ;)

Many thanks ,Gentlemen. Sounds as though you have it right on the money.What a swift response too.

Great grandfather was Alexander Mackenzie b 1844 son of the Muir of Ord, Post Office up here in the Highlands.

He married a lady from Mortlake, Surrey and they settled in Middlesex , first in Acton by 1875 then 3 Wellington Square, Chelsea by the 1881 census.

Sadly she died young and he made for South Africa where he remarried and died in 1889 aged just 55.

Now I know where to start I will enjoy researching more about the regiment.

Well done ,indeed !

Fransmoi.

For comparison - a group of London Scottish in 1888 -

post-357-1144612585.jpg

I found this representation in colour on the Internet. It shows a different sleeve pattern to my ancestor's though I see both shown in Croonaert's clear photograph. Dare I ask if anyone knows why? As to Myrtle dating the photographer - the icing on my cake.

post-11508-1144624350.jpg

I found this representation in colour on the Internet. It shows a different sleeve pattern to my ancestor's though I see both shown in Croonaert's clear photograph. Dare I ask if anyone knows why? As to Myrtle dating the photographer - the icing on my cake.

post-11508-1144624350.jpg

The skirt on the tunic is different also. It's simply a later pattern.

Dave.

First place I tried on the Internet, PFF, but could not find any close-ups on their website. I will have to visit when next in London at the other end of the UK from me. Thank you all very much.

I discovered another photo (on my work laptop for some reason) which seems to confirm the diagnosis. I'll try and remember to e-mail it to myself at home (don't ask!!) and post tomorrow.