Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What does this actually mean?

DCLI

I am looking at an MM group on ebay and am interested in bidding.

The buyer refers to the MM as - Military Medal London Gazette 20 August 1919 for services in France.

What does that mean, for services in France? And weren't MMs Gazetted three or six months after they were awarded, which would make it February or May 1919, ie after the war was over.

Were MMs sometimes given out as favours or rewards, other than for acts of bravery?

Regards DCLI

In the latter stages of the War the delay to making it to the Gazette extended dramatically. August 1919 Gazette MMs are probbaly for the last few weeks of the war.

For services in France probably comes from the Medal Card for it which would be stamped "France".

Military Medals were only given for bravery in the field, not as other rewards.

Steve.

Thanks for that.

Hello

I think some POW MMs got gazetted in 1920

Ian

Hello,

A light hearted comment. I had an uncle, who I saw very rarely, who had a MM which was framed on his wall. I once asked him about it. He said 'they came up with the rations'. I never got the story.

Old Tom

I've heard that before, but he might have been very modest.

I have also heard that ORs were sometimes offered money or the MM - if you are not sure you will see out the week, why not go and get drunk in an estaminet?

The post war awards also gave comanding officers a chance to review who had been honoured. Edward Mannock's VC was awarded after such a review: gazetted July 1919, a year after his death.