The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Chemical Soldier?

Guest greatniece

Guest greatniece

I believe that my Great-Uncle, Robert Lobb, who was an Oxford science graduate, served in the Special Brigade RE. His army records are probably part of the burnt series as there's nothing that I can locate at Kew. Although (from his photo) he was a Corporal (no surprise there given his unit) I understand he became a "Gas Instructor" and he may have spent some time at the Special Brigade Depot at Porton. He was enlisted in WW2 as an officer in the RAF attached to the Ministry of Scientific Warfare allegedly doing something hush-hush. Can anyone guide me to appropriate sources other than Richter's book that might help me to find out what he really did during the Great War?

Terry Reeves, a moderator on the forum, was involved in a long term task of compiling info on men who served with Special Brigade RE and also further information.

Search within forum using keywords 'special brigade RE' - remember to search in context of posts 'from the beginning' and in 'all forums' - that will throw up a good number of informative posts.

Best wishes

Des

Can anyone guide me to appropriate sources other than Richter's book that might help me to find out what he really did during the Great War?

Have you tried GAS!” The Story of the Special Brigade by Maj-Gen C.H Foulkes?

Dave.

Your Great-Uncle did serve in the Special Brigade. He is listed as 106079 Cpl Richard Lob. Note there is no second "B". He was one of the original enlistments between June and early September 1915 initally serving with 186,187,188 or 189 companies. The men in these units were present at the Barttle of Loos in September 1915 dispensing Chlorine gas from cylinders.

I have no further information about his later movements, although it entirely possible that he spent some time Porton.

Terry Reeves