Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Whistles at zero hour

Terry Carter

Hi all

I imagine quite a lot of folk who are going to the 90th Anniversery of the Somme this year will be, like me, not at a memorial or cemetery, but somewhere facing the old No Man's Land in the vicinity where ther great grandfather or great uncle may have served, or, men from their City or Town began their advance towards the German lines at 07:30.

Are other Pals thinking like me and thinking of taking a whistle to blow at 07:30 as a signal to 'go over the top'.

It seems, Just lately, WW1 whistles are doing big business on ebay

or is that not the right thing to do

Regards

Terry

Hadn't really thought about it before, but I think the sound of whistles blowing along the old front line would be very moving and a fitting gesture. It would certainly bring a lump to my throat...

it would be a great way of giving people a fright. Hide in the bushes at the Pals memorial then blow away. Seriously though I think it would be a very poignant gesture. They do this at Lochnagar if my memory serves me right.

Hello Terry

I think that it is generally a good idea. Trouble is if everyone has a whistle to blow the event could end up sounding like an animal rights demo.

Andy

A word of warning, gents. Make sure they`re authentic whistles. You wouldn`t want to sound like a Gay Pride march if people use cheap plastic ones. Not that I`ve anything against.... Phil B

Have an authentic whistle and have used it in the past, couldn't find it last year so had the sound of the top coming off the rum bottle instead.

Memo to me...... must find whistle.

Mandy (who shall be in THE sunken lane at Beaumont)

Thanks for the kind comments. I started the topic last night after I came came from the pub having downed a few and found my daughter had left the PC switched on. Otherwise the thoughts I had about whistles would have evaporated, like the beer , this morning.

Now I am stone cold sober and think about it again, yes I am going to take a whistle for 07:30, but I will make sure I am well off the beaten track so not to offend any persons who may be having a silent moment in a cemetery.

Hi Mandy, Will not be far from you. I aim to be somewhere near our front line opposite Serre Road No.2 (crops permitting) Do you think the farmers will plough No Man's Land for us ???? :D

Terry

we could ask Terry. you never know your luck!!!!!

Mandy