Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Information wanted on 9th Tank Corps

medals1976

Hello, Could any members help me with some information. I am trying to obtain information on the 9th Tank Corps, were they served, history etc as I can find little information. This would be much appreciated.

9th Battalion of the Tank Corps was initially known as "I" Bn. It was formed in later 1916 and comprised the 25th, 26th and 27th Tank companies.

It fought through the Hindenburg line, at the opening stages of the battle of Cambrai, near La Vacquerie, in support of 61st Inf Bde (part of 20th Light Div). Of the 35 tanks which crossed the start line on 20th November 1917, four tanks were destroyed by enemy artillery fire and eleven more suffered breakdowns. of these 4 were subsequently recovered. On 23rd November 1917, 12 tanks took part in the assault on Fontaine Notre Dame; two tanks were destroyed. The next day another 12 tanks supported the attack on Bourlon village - five were destroyed, five suffered mechanical damage or fires. Despite the losses to tanks, only 2 officers and 4 ORs were killed during the battle; 13 military medals were awarded to members of the Battalion for their actions; 10 being awarded for action during the break-in on 20th November during the battle.

The battalion was re-designated 9th Battalion in January 1918 and then participated in the following actions:

Moreuil July 1918

Amiens August 1918

Bapaume August 1918

2nd Battle of Arras August 1918

Battle of Cambrai-St Quentin September/October 1918

You're welcome - I'm sure another Pal will add more

Do you want info on any particular time or is your question linked to a particular person

Yes I was looking into a chap called William Haddow who had emigrated to the U.S in the 1920's. He was a tank driver with the 9th Batallion. I could not find anything on this batallion until you shared your helpfull information.

308085 Private William Haddow

we will see what we can find!

Hi,

I was very interested in your post as I had a relative who was also in the 9th but died 23rd July 1918 age 30.

I have been unable to do much research on him as we know so little and I had hoped to glean a little from this thread. His details are 91933 Pte. Henry Tyman. He is commemorated on the Soissons Memorial. Does anybody have any information as to what was going on at the time of his death? Any information would help to build a picture for me. I hope there are some Tank Corp experts out there that can help.

Kind Regards Ian

As a unit they were awarded the Croix de Guerre & thus wore a lanyard in green with Red stripes{ribbon Colours} & the French badge A Flaming Grenade with legend~"Qui S'Il Y Frotte'" on the sleeve

I have a copy of that citation & will post it when I get a mo!

Cpl;Albert Pooley 9th TC{late 3/1st Camb.R.}note Lanyard & Sleeve Badge.

post-2388-1144867620.jpg

post-2388-1144869496.jpg

Hello Sir, the batallion was present during the battle of Moreuil in july 1918 and I presume your reletave may have been killed during this action.

Thanks. Mike.

23rd Jul was the date of the Battle of Moreuil when the Bn won two DSO, nine MCs, five Chevalier of the Legion d'Honeur, two DCM, nine Military Medals and twelve Medaille Militaire.

There is a good description of the battle in the Willams-Ellis book "The Tank Corps" (recently republished by MLRS books) and a personal account by RQMS HG Mackenzie in David Fletcher's book "Tanks and Trenches".

Stephen

Hello Sir,

Could you email me a copy of the citation for the 9th Batallion? If the unit was awarded the Croix de Guerre would an individual soldier be entitled to wear the medal? please email to medals1976@hotmail.co.uk

Many thanks.

Sorry for the delay

I haven;t got the citiation (yet) but here are some of the congratulatory messages

From: Mag Gen H. RUGGLES BRISE, Military Secretary to C-in-C.

"The Commander-in-Chief (Gen Haig) desires that the following telegram received from General Debeney, Commanding First French Army, should be communicated to Lieut.. Colonel Woods and the officers and men of the 9th Battalion, Tank Corps, whom he congratulates on the high honour given them:- "I am happy to convey to you the following telegram which I have just received from the General Commanding the French Armies in response to my request. The collective mention in the Orders of the Army of the 9th Battalion of British Tanks is approved in the following terms :- ' " In the fighting of July 23, under the skilled and capable command of Lieut.-Colonel Woods, have given the most effective assistance to a French Division, and by their courage, energy, cohesion, and, military training have won the enthusiastic admiration of their French comrades. The recommendations for the Legion of Honour and Military Medals are forwarded to the Minister, and strongly recommended." '

The Commander-in-Chief has sent the following reply to General Debeney:- "I have received your telegram of August 12 with the greatest pleasure, and have communicated to the 9th Battalion of Tanks the high honour for which they have been recommended.

and

GENERAL ORDER No. 248. 3rd (French) Division STAFF, H.Q, July 24, 1918.

"The 9th Battalion of British Tanks fought yesterday with the 3rd French Division known as "La Grenadiere". Commanded by an experienced and skilful leader, Lieut.-Colonel Woods, the tanks again enriched their harvest of laurels, which this new arm has not ceased to gather since its first appearance in August 1916. They have given the division the finest example of bravery, energy, of comradeship in action, and of war training carried to the highest degree of perfection. Their assistance enabled the infantry to gain a brilliant victory, which they themselves largely shared. If sacrifices to be deplored were the price of this success, the officers and men who fell gave an example of how a British soldier can die for his King and Country. "La Grenadiere" hereby addresses to its British comrades the touching expression of its gratitude and admiration.

Le General Cdt. la 3e Division d'Infanterie, NAYAL DE BOURGON.

August 12, 1918."

The citiation for the CO was as follows:

"WOODS Lieut.-Col. WOODS, HUGH KENNEDY. 9th Battn. Awarded Chevalier de la Legion d’Honneur. A su faire de son Bataillon tie Tanks tiii Corps d’élite dont l’ésprit guerrier, le sentiment de solidarité, Ia perfection de l’instruction militaire, ont soulévé l’adrniration unanime dans l’aide puissante qu’il a prêtée sans compter ft la 3e Division Française au combat du 23 juillet, Has succeeded in bringing the Tanks Battalion under his command to be a first-rate unit. Its martial spirit, high feelings of comradeship, and the perfect degree of its military instruction raised unanimous admiration by the powerful and unlimited support given to the 3rd French Division in the action of the 23rd July, 1918."

Stephen

Excellent! Thank-you, this will certainly go nicely with my medal having great additional research to go with my collection.

If the unit was awarded the Croix de Guerre would an individual soldier be entitled to wear the medal?

No;if a unit,en bloc; is awarded such an award then it is either carried on the Colours,&/or a distinctive lanyard or shoulder patch{in the form of a strip of ribbon} is worn by those serving in the unit.the 9th was unique in being granted the honour of wearing the Brass Sleeve badge.

Ref: Citation: I will forward a transcript of it{Published in MHS Journal 1970s}

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

"Hi,

I was very interested in your post as I had a relative who was also in the 9th but died 23rd July 1918 age 30.

I have been unable to do much research on him as we know so little and I had hoped to glean a little from this thread. His details are 91933 Pte. Henry Tyman. He is commemorated on the Soissons Memorial. Does anybody have any information as to what was going on at the time of his death? Any information would help to build a picture for me. I hope there are some Tank Corp experts out there that can help.

Kind Regards Ian"

Hi Ian,

I know this is resurrecting an ancient post but Kev, my business partner, was trawling the Forum yesterday and happened to come across your post (above).

Hi Grandfather (originally a Cambridgeshire) was serving with 9th Tank Battalion when he died and he was in the same crew as Henry Tyman. He has a letter from the tank commander talking about the death of his Grandfather but it also mentions Henry Tynan being killed too.

Kev will be more than happy to share whatever info he has with you. Get in contact and I will pass your details on.

Cheers,

Taff

• 3 years later...

Does anyone know which German unit(s) were attacked by the 9th Battalion during the Battle of Moreuil on 23rd July 1918?

Thanks.

Robert

Could it have been the 21st Division? The French 9e Corps war diary mentions the capture of men from the German 81st Infantry Regiment just before the attack took place.

Robert

• 2 years later...

31.12.29. Army Order 244: Army Council approved of publication of Citation which had appeared in General Order No83 by the General Officer Commanding 1st French Army, on 15.08.18. on behalf of 9 Bn, Tank Corps.

In the actions of the 23rd July, 1918, under the experienced and able command of its Commander, Lieut-Colonel Woods, rendered most effective assistance to a French Division, and by its bravery, boldness and fighting spirit, combined with its high standard of training, set an example which aroused the enthusiastic admiration of its French Comrades.

GHQ 15th August 1918.

Le General de Division Debeney,

Commanding 1st Army.

In addition to this the Bn were awarded a special embellishment, depicting the Divisional sign of the French 3rd Infantry Division, in brass, worn on the upper left arm, together with a lanyard in the colours of the French Croix de Guerre.

Stephen.

• 1 year later...
Guest RogerUHCA

9th Battalion of the Tank Corps was initially known as "I" Bn. It was formed in later 1916 and comprised the 25th, 26th and 27th Tank companies.

It fought through the Hindenburg line, at the opening stages of the battle of Cambrai, near La Vacquerie, in support of 61st Inf Bde (part of 20th Light Div). Of the 35 tanks which crossed the start line on 20th November 1917, four tanks were destroyed by enemy artillery fire and eleven more suffered breakdowns. of these 4 were subsequently recovered. On 23rd November 1917, 12 tanks took part in the assault on Fontaine Notre Dame; two tanks were destroyed. The next day another 12 tanks supported the attack on Bourlon village - five were destroyed, five suffered mechanical damage or fires. Despite the losses to tanks, only 2 officers and 4 ORs were killed during the battle; 13 military medals were awarded to members of the Battalion for their actions; 10 being awarded for action during the break-in on 20th November during the battle.

The battalion was re-designated 9th Battalion in January 1918 and then participated in the following actions:

Moreuil July 1918

Amiens August 1918

Bapaume August 1918

2nd Battle of Arras August 1918

Battle of Cambrai-St Quentin September/October 1918

Interested to read your comments.

I am researching a soldier from my village of Upper Hopton, Mirfield, West Yorks, UK. The soldiers name was Robert Lewis Oates and he was in the 9th Bat Tank Corps.His Reg number was 92261 and he was KIA on the 23rd July 1918. Robert is commemorated at the Soissons memorial alongside Henry Walter Hunt (29), Harry Morris (25), Edward Harold Scarlett, Henry R Tyman (30) and Fresrick Charles Warrington (30). All the six soldiers lost their lives on the same day of 23rd July 1918.

I would like to learn more about what happened to Robert on the day of his death. Is it possible that all the soldiers were in the same tank? Did any soldiers survive?

See our web site www.upperhoptonvillage.co.uk which shows some of the information I have gathered for Robert. The website shows photographs of Robert but we have no means of identifying the other soldiers.

Guest RogerUHCA

Interested to read your comments.

I am researching a soldier from my village of Upper Hopton, Mirfield, West Yorks, UK. The soldiers name was Robert Lewis Oates and he was in the 9th Bat Tank Corps.His Reg number was 92261 and he was KIA on the 23rd July 1918. Robert is commemorated at the Soissons memorial alongside Henry Walter Hunt (29), Harry Morris (25), Edward Harold Scarlett, Henry R Tyman (30) and Fresrick Charles Warrington (30). All the six soldiers lost their lives on the same day of 23rd July 1918.

I would like to learn more about what happened to Robert on the day of his death. Is it possible that all the soldiers were in the same tank? Did any soldiers survive?

See our web site www.upperhoptonvillage.co.uk which shows some of the information I have gathered for Robert. The website shows photographs of Robert but we have no means of identifying the other soldiers.

Roger

A quick search of the CWGC records shows that at least 26 men from the Tank Corps died on 23 Jul 18 (24 from the 9th Bn, 1 from the 4th Bn, and one not showing which Bn). Twelve of them are remembered on the Soissons Memorial (all 9th Bn).

The War Diary list of casualties (men and machines) states:

(I) Personnel. As far as can be ascertained at present:-

Officers. Killed - 3, Wounded - 8, Wounded at Duty - 3.

O.R.s Killed - 16. Wounded – 27, Wounded at Duty – 9.

Missing 6 (all believed killed).

(II) Tanks. Tanks out of action by direct hits (including 3 in enemy’s hands) - 15. All tanks appear to have been moving at the time, but were in a very exposed position. 1 Tank was repaired the same day and rallied.

• 3 weeks later...

Roger

I am also trying to piece together what happened on 23/7/1918. I have looked at your research information on http://www.upperhoptonvillage.co.uk and wondered if by any chance you had copies of the letters (from the commanding officer and the chaplain) referred to in the newspaper article on Robert Oates' death? The War Diaries and the 9th Battalion History seem to have several inconsistencies in the detail and I think that the only way of sorting these out is from getting additional bits of information from such letters.

David