Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Battle of Loos, 25th September 1915

Michelle Young

• Admin

Remembering all those who fought at the battle of Loos.

Especially 15298 Private Ernest Young,10th Glosters, wounded 25th September 1915, died of wounds 1st October 1915.

We will remember them.

My grandfather, then Pte Ewen MacCormick of the 1/20th London Regt (Blackheath & Woolwich), first went 'over the top' on this day. He survived, unlike many of his mates.

Remembering Maj William Casson, 7th Londons, kia Loos, 25/09/15.

Also remembering his cousin, 2nd Lt Randal Alexander Casson, 2 RWF, whose anniversary of death is tomorrow, 26th September. He was kia by shellfire, Black Watch Corner, Polygon Wood, 26/09/17.

Remembering my grandfather, Pte Francis White (20th Londons) gassed and wounded in the lumbar region on that fateful day within 100yards of the starting point. He survived, deemd unfit for further active service. many of his friends did not.

Also killed in the same attack of the southern side of the village of Loos was Lt. Col. H D Collison-Morley CO of the 19th Londons. Lt. J N Morley of the 7th Northants also lost his life that day. It was a sad day for John's father, Land Agent to Earl Spencer and prompted his younger son Alexander to join up at the start of 1916. Alexander always remember the day poignantly on each anniversary.

I shall, later today, raise a glass of "Genevre de Loos" in memory of all who died.

While Remembering all those who fought at the battle of Loos, also Remembering the men of

the 5th K.S.L.I., who fought in sudsidiary battle at Bellewarde.

the 6th K.S.L.I., who fought in sudsidiary battle at Laventie.

And the 1st K.S.L.I., who fought in Battle for Morval on this day in 1916.

Remembering the men of the 2nd Bn Royal Sussex Regiment who fell this day, among them Sgt Harry Wells VC whose citation reads:

"For the most conspicuous bravery near Le Routoire on the 25th September, 1915. When his platoon officer had been killed, he took command and led his men forward to within 15 yards of the German wire. Nearly half the platoon were killed or wounded, and the remainder very much shaken, but with the utmost coolness and bravery Sergeant Wells rallied them and led them forward. Finally when very few were left, he stood up and urged them forward once more, but while doing so he himself was killed. He gave a magnificent display of courage and determination."

wellsVC.02

Can't believe I missed this thread. My Great-Great Uncle, Thomas McIntee was killed on the 27th. I don't know how or where but I'm guessing he might have been in the area of Fosse Alley.

I hope he didn't have to suffer.

John