The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Thistleban/Thistleard

Andrew P

I've recently found some info on a local man, Richard Leonard, who was in the Merchant Navy in WW1.

He joined the ship Thistleban in Fremantle in 1915 as an engineer and was with the ship for some time but am not sure if he transferred off before the Thistleban was torpedoed.

Nevertheless he joined the ship Thistleard and was on it when it was torpedoed in April 1917.

Does anyone have an account of the Thistleard's torpedoeing? I've googled it but just come up with the date and not much else.

After the Thistleard was sunk I am not sure of Leonard's movements as he died in England on July 2nd 1917. He is not on CWGC so I don't even know yet what cemetery he is in or what he died of.

Regards

Andrew

Andrew,

THISTLEBAN was torpedoed and sunk on December 23, 1916 5 miles NNW of Alexandria by the German minelaying submarine U73 without loss of life.

THISTLEARD was torpedoed and sunk on April 24, 1917 135 miles WNW of Tory Isl (about 55°10'N, 12°00'W) by the German submarine U82. U 82's KTB has the attack at 55°25'N, 12°50'W. Again, no loss of life. THISTLEARD was on a voyage from Norfolk, Virginia for Glasgow with a cargo of nitrate when sunk.

Best wishes,

Michael