Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

XVI, XVII and XVIII Corps

Hoplophile

Can anyone tell me the dates of formation of the XV, XVI and XVII Corps? I know that they were formed somewhere in the Mediterranean, but I am not sure of the exact date.

Many thanks. This is helpful.

I am wondering if anyone knows the exact date that these corps were formed.

"Orders of Battle of Divisions", Part 4:

XV Corps (Egypt) formed 12.1.16 (Lt Gen Horne), at Port Said. 12.4.16 disbanded in Egypt and HQ transferred to France, where it reformed at Vignacourt on 22.4.16, still under Horne.

XVI Corps (Salonika), formed 17.1.16 (Lt Gen Milne). Stayed in Salonika area throughout war.

XVII Corps was originally formed as XV Corps, but the creation of XV Corps in Egypt necessitated a change to XVII. Indian Corps had been notified that they would form this Corps as Indian troops left the theatre - this was on 9.12.15; the GOC, plus 11 Staff Officers moved across from the Indian Corps. The Corps was renumbered XVII on 9.1.16, and stayed on the Western Front.

Erm....I've just realised the thread title reads XVI, XVII and XVIII, whereas the question read XV, XVI and XVII, so for the sake of completion,

XVIII was formed in France on 15.1.17, under Lt Gen Maxse.

Many, many thanks.

Fool that I was, I passed up a chance to pick up Order of Battle, Divisions, Part 4 when it was still available.