Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Brigade of Guards Memorial Service, 1919

Nick Thornicroft

I have recently seen the front of an original printed Order of Ceremony which accompanied the Memorial Service held at St. Paul's Cathedral on Wednesday, February 5th, 1919, at 2:30 p.m. "In Memory of the Officers, Warrant Officers, Non-Commissioned Officers and Men of the (Six Regiments of the) Brigade of Guards who have died in the Service of their Country during the War, 1914-1918". Does anyone know who was there, in the way of dignitaries, decorated soldiers, etc? The family of Guardsman W.C. Clissold, from Chalford, Glos., were invited to represent their son, who fell in mid-September, 1914, whilst serving with the 2nd Grenadier Guards. In the end, they could not afford to travel.

Many thanks

Sorry Headlam's The Guards Division doesn't mention it but does describe the parade through London on March 22nd 1919 by the Guards Division.

Ponsonby's Grenadier Guards makes no refence to the service either.

All in all a pretty useless post that doesn't help. Did look though.

Can't remember any of "my" veteran's mention it either.

Try looking on the PATHE NEWS website,lots of early moving images of WW1 and its aftermath.

Thanks for your replies. Nothing came up on "Google" either, which was why I posted the message. I did not know about the Pathe News website, but I will certainly take a look.

I would have expected all the Regimental Colonels to be in attendance and the odd Royal as they were in the main the Colonels of the Regiments, possibly even Prince Edward who served as a Grenadier in the War.

Mix with local dignatries the old and bold, decorated servicemen VCs and Honour guards, as well as families of those lost in action.

Rob

Nick

You can find this on the Times Digital archive. Search for 'memorial' between the 4th and 10th Feb 1919 and all will be revealed.

Owen Hales

Rob & Owen

Many thanks for your helpful replies. I'll have a look at the Times Digital Archive.

Nick