The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

photograph

Guest kenneth mcarthur

I would have thought it was earlier; perhaps a visit by an overseas dignatory to a training camp.

Interersting mix of dress but most seem to have Royal Artillery badges; officer rear rank third from right appears to be cavalry; yound offiver front rank wearing a bronze badge - that one has me stuck

Either Royal Field Artillery or Royal Garrison Artillery Volunteers/Territorials, the majority wearing officers blue patrols. The cavlary officer at the rear is infact Yeomanry. The officers in SD seem to have the twisted cord shoulder strap, which was introduced around 1904. At present I'm unable to make out if below their collar badges they're wearing either V's or T's, which would date it either side of 1908. One strange fearure is that one of the officers seems to be wearing a blue "reefer" jacket, which I've never seen before.

Graham.

Guest kenneth mcarthur

Either Royal Field Artillery or Royal Garrison Artillery Volunteers/Territorials, the majority wearing officers blue patrols. The cavlary officer at the rear is infact Yeomanry. The officers in SD seem to have the twisted cord shoulder strap, which was introduced around 1904. At present I'm unable to make out if below their collar badges they're wearing either V's or T's, which would date it either side of 1908. One strange fearure is that one of the officers seems to be wearing a blue "reefer" jacket, which I've never seen before.

Graham.

here is another ...quite a mixture!!

post-10270-1144326085.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The one with the chain mail epaulettes?

It's unlikely that an officer in the Kings Own would wear the chain mail epaulettes, which are a distinguishing feature of Yeomary Cavalry. The second photo is again of the same unit, but again it's difficult to tell whether they're R.F.A./R.G.A. Volunteers/Territorials, the identifying feature being either a 'V' or 'T' on their shoulder strap titles.

Graham.

• 2 months later...