Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Social History Photos

John84

Thought I would let you all see these two amazing photos of social history.....I was given access to them by an old lady from my village, both are large photos in period oak frames, what's fantastic about them, all the people on are named. Please forgive the quality of my photos, I had to use my camera without the flash because of the glass in the frames. The old girl is going to ask her son (who I know) if I can have the photos professionally copied.

The first photo is Littletown, Co, Durham residence, some in uniform some in civvies, photo taken outside the Duke of York public House. What I like about this photo it reminds me of early episodes of Dads Army, note the pitch hay folks, meat cleavers, and kitchen knifes tried to lengths of wood, couple of shotguns there as well, I believe this photo to date around late 1914 early 1915...as the girl is holding up a sign 'Remember the Pools' ...think this must be referring to the bombardment of Hartlepool, 16, Dec, 1914.

Back row, left to right: J. W. Anderson. R. Anderson. W. H. Charlesworth. L. Charlesworth (Miss) M. Downs. T. Downs. M. Downs (landlord.) T Grainger. I. Singleman. M. Welsh. H. R. Hornsby. F. Hornsby.

Front Row, left to right: G. James. J. James. G. James. M. James (Miss) W. James. D. Kell. S. J. Last. D. Brown (Mrs.) E. Brown (Miss.) M. Brown. G. T. Watson. W. Wild. G. Wild

The second photo is the lads from Sherburn Hill Co, Durham, Photo looks to have been taken outside the Wesleyan Chapel, again, some in uniform some in civvies. Note the Billy-Goat at the front with the sign over its back, 'Sherburn Hill Billy's'

Back row, left to right: A. Dickinson. W. Luke. T. Allerton. W. Kell. A. kell. D. Kell. M. L. Ord. R. Ord. T. M. Scorer. R.Walton. T. Scorer. F. Dunning.

Middle row, left to right: G. Allanton. J. H. Carr. P. Fox. E. Dawson. J. Hinds. R. Patterson. W. H. Patterson. J. Mather. W. Horner. G. Kyle. A. Craggs. J. Kyle.

Front Row, kneeling , left to right: C. Harper. H. Harper. M. Harper. J. Harper. R. Bell. T. Bell. J. Carman. J. Strong. A. Law. R. York. A. Law. W. H. Law.

Sorry Pals can't seem to attach the photos...yep they are under 100kbs.....think this is a problem at my end...hope this is not another computer melt down again!!!

John

I am very interested in seeing those photos. Please don't give up on trying to post them. :)

Kate

John

I am very interested in seeing those photos. Please don't give up on trying to post them. :)

Kate

Kate....yep its defiantly a problem at my end...I will keep you advised.

John84,

I'm hoping that you do manage to get it sorted as both the Harpers and Kells on the photo were relatives of my father-in-law, so it should be Charles, Hugh and Matthew Harper on one of them.

Best of luck and please keep us informed.

Graham.

Graham,

Are you related to the Kells from Thornley? One of my best mates from schooldays, Geoff Kell, his grandfather was killed in, I think, Burma in WWII.

Regards

David

Name: KELL, HENRY

Initials: H

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers

Secondary Regiment: Leicestershire Regiment

Secondary Unit Text: attd. 7th Bn.

Date of Death: 29/03/1944

Service No: 7636440

Additional information: Son of Henry and Ellen Kell husband of Gladys May Kell, of Thornley, Durham.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: 4.D.14.

Cemetery: GAUHATI WAR CEMETERY

David,

I'm no relation to the Kells, but my father-in-laws mother Margaret was originally married to 20/817 Pte George Kell, 20th Bn,N.F.(1st Tyneside Scottish), who was killed on the Somme 1/7/1916. Margaret Harper actually lost her husband, two of her brothers William and John and her brother-in-law Joseph Forster.

She later went on to marry 1502 Cpl William Reay, M.M., 1/1st Northumberland Hussars, who lost his wife and son to the flu epedemic.

Graham.

• 6 months later...
Guest Iain Field

John

I have just found your posting on this site and it has caused a great amount of excitement within our family. In the front row of the photograph taken in Littletown are my mother's two uncles; George James and John James. There is also a W James who we are presuming to be George and John's father and my mother's grandfather, William James. If W James looks to be the same age as George and John then it must be my mother's father and brother to George and John who was also called William.

John James was killed at the Dardanelles in October 1915. George James was killed during the Battle of the Somme in July 1916.

We are desperate to see this photo as there is no photo in our posession which shows John and George together along with either their father or younger brother William.

Please advise if you still have the photo and if there is any way in which we could see the photo. We live in the Durham area and still have strong attachments to the Littletown/Pittington area.

Very best wishes

Iain