The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

great-granfather 8th batt

Guest ogie

i've just found out that my great-gran father fought in the first world war and was a POW he was capured in ypres his name was thomas bell 8th the royal irish rifles if any one could help me find out more my granfather would be well pleased as hes 83 and he was in the RAF in the 2nd world war .........................

For God And Ulster we forget them not.............................................

According to the NA MIC's online there are quite a few men called Thomas Bell who served in the Royal Irish Rifles. However there appears to be only one with a number that suggests 8th Battalion, this one....

Medal card of Bell, Thomas J

Corps Regiment No Rank

Royal Irish Rifles 8/12535 Private

Royal Irish Rifles 8/12535 Private

If this is the correct one, do you know GGrandfather's middle name? then the link to the card is Here

Hope this helps for starters.

Steve

There's also a Thomas Bell mentioned on the POW database, link to it is Here. Could possibly be one and the same.

Hi there,

Why not send Desmond a PM. He has a great deal of information on the Rifles.

Ken

Hi there,

Why not send Desmond a PM. He has a great deal of information on the Rifles.

Ken

There's also a Thomas Bell mentioned on the POW database, link to it is Here. Could possibly be one and the same.
my great granfather was rank rifleman he was capured in 1917 and he was aged about 30 and he lived in the dundonald area my grand father said he died in 1922 he thinks

FOR GOD AND ULSTER LEST WE FORGET AT THE GOING DOWN OF THE SUN AND IN THE MORNING WE SHALL REMEMBER THEM FALLEN HEROS....................