Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unknown uniform

Guest Paul Fox

Guest Paul Fox

post-11802-1144180445.jpg

Hi to all

Came across this photo amongst my grans photos, before I can start tracing anything I was wondering if anyone knew where the uniform was from?

Any help appreciated

Paul

It is Victorian,circa 1880~90's As taken in Pembroke Dock it may well be one of the Welsh Regiments the light facings{Collar/Cuffs} will probaly indicate a Regt

Guest Paul Fox
It is Victorian,circa 1880~90's As taken in Pembroke Dock it may well be one of the Welsh Regiments the light facings{Collar/Cuffs} will probaly indicate a Regt

Thanks for that, I am really stumped if a welsh regiment as family are from Lincolnshire and my Gt grandfather was a pte in Lincs regiment.

Cheers paul

No reason why the Lincolns should not have been at PD - many English Bns were

Gents,

White facings were introduced in 1881 with the jam-pot cuff for all "none Royal" English and Welsh infantry regiments. Those regiments which were designated as "Royal" regiments continued to wear blue facings. None Royal Scots regiments had yellow facings and none Royal Irish regiments green. The Rifle Regiments were uneffected by these changes.

Graham.

Paul,

Looks like he is wearing a 'Frock'. It was more loose fitting than the tunic, and had no piping. It was often worn as an 'undress' jacket for walking out. Also, the stick is a good indicator that he is in walking out dress. As Graham stated, I think the English & Welsh line Regiments wore white facings/cuffs at this period in time.

It is a good photo,

Hope this helps

Tom McC