Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Meuse-Argonne Sector Website

Guest rgaulke

Ladies and Gentlmen,

Forum member Paul Guthrie has suggested that I post information regarding my new website, www.meuse-argonne.com, on this list.

After starting the project in early 2003, I have filled in a lot of the empty pages over the last six months.

The focus is on the Meuse-Argonne sector of the Western Front, with an emphasis on the battlefields.

My goal is to make this an interactive website, so I am always looking for suggested website links, article and photo contributions, corrections, etc.

Please take a look at it, and email me with any comments or suggestions.

Randy Gaulke

rgaulke@muzinich.com (work)

lavarennes@rcn.com (home)

My pal Randy knows this subject well, he organized our US Branch WFA tour there in 1998 with Tony Noyes , speaks fluent German, some French,

Re before and after, look in the background at the Exermont picture, barn has huge hole in 1918 and in 98 there is just a patch 80 years later, a hoot! Also the dead German in 98 being attended to by French dog is Randy.

Hello Randy,

You have a good historical site developing.

I like paricularly the article on Frank Luke.His name will be forever remembered in air force circles by the naming of the now USAF base that bears his name.

Did USAF Luke contribute to the restoration of his memorial? Present day units usually volunteer to assist.

I will be in the Meuse -Argonne area in the next few weeks and I will try and get a close up photograph of the plaque on Frank Luke's memorial.As you know he is buried at nearby US Romagne Military Cemetary which must be one of the finest landscaped Western Front cemeteries although Bellau Wood takes some beating.

Regards

Frank East

Per Ardua ad Astra

• 4 weeks later...

Here is a close up of CMH Frank Luke's restored plaque on his memorial situated on the side of the D 102 in the sleepy village of Murvaux, Meuse Department, Lorraine.

It has been in place for nearly 3 years and perhaps will remain to remind all of the bravery of one particular airman.

Regards

Frank East

View of monument to follow.

post-4-1066601731.jpg