Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt TEF Murphy Tank Corps

delta

Tracking down one of the first tank commanders, Lt Murphy, I found this MIC Card

Could some-one tell me - what was the officers exonerated list?

Stephen :ph34r:

It may well have been that he was captured during the German Spring offensive in 1918. Officers faced a board of inquiry on return which enquired into the circumstances of their capture.

Just out of interest, this was normal procedure for other ranks under the pay warrant.

Terry Reeves

Thanx Terry - most useful info

Now all I have to find out is what his Christian names so I can identify when he was initially commissioned

Stephen

Delta

Just checking King's Regulations , 1912, he could have faced a board of inquiry for capture at any period during the war. There is a file for a Lt TE Murphy at the National Archive in WO339/40300. It might be worth checking to see if it is the same man.

Terry Reeves

Terry

again thank you

I shall try to get to see it

Stephen

PProbably got it already but:

Promoted to Lieutenant.

LG 5-12-1917

TANK CORPS

The undermentioned to be temp. Lts.: —

Temp. 2nd Lt. T. E. F. Murphy. 15 Oct. 1917.

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/archiveVi...&selHonourType=

Steve.

Steve - yes I had that one but still am looking for his initial commissioning entry..

Many thanx none the less

On.....on......

Stephen

Hi Stephen

Terry is right as Lt T F Murphy, 14th Batalion, Tank Corps was captured 9th August 1918 and repatriated 13th December 1918 (Cox & Co's, Officer POW list).

Regards

Steve

Steve

Thanks for the info - do you have your own Cox and Co list or were you using the NA version

Reason for asking: Lt Arthur Edmund Arnold (commanded D16 Dracula at Flers) was taken prisoner during the Third Battle of Ypres on 22 Aug 1917. LG shows he therefore “Relinquished acting rank of Capt on losing comd of a section on 23 Aug 1917”. He survived the war but I was interested to know how long he was a PoW

Stephen

Hi Stephen

Cox & Co show Capt A E Arnold, F Battalion captured 22 August 1917 and repatriated on 6 December 1918.

Regards

Steve

Steve

You're a star - thanx so much for the help

Stephen :rolleyes:

• 2 months later...
Guest Simon Bull
Just out of interest, this was normal procedure for other ranks under the pay warrant.

Terry Reeves

Terry could I ask you to develop this a little for the militarily ignorant like me

Ie

(1) What is the "pay warrant"

(2) Was any record kept of any interviews with other ranks "under the pay warrant".