Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Local RC Memorial

PhilB

The photo is of the Longton village RC memorial at St Oswald`s near Preston. What does the line about chastisement mean? Phil B

post-2329-1144100123.jpg

It comes from the bible - Isaiah 53:5 - which goes "But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed" in the King James Version. It refers to the crucifixion.

The phrase is likening the sufferings of the men, which brought peace, to the sufferings of Jesus, which also brought peace (salvation, or peace with God).

Tom

Thanks for that, Tom. I`ve checked the quote and I can only see a sketchy relevance to the dead of WW1. I take it the S in PEASE is a mistake on the memorial? Phil B

post-2329-1144141519.jpg

Thanks for that, Tom. I`ve checked the quote and I can only see a sketchy relevance to the dead of WW1. I take it the S in PEASE is a mistake on the memorial? Phil B

I hope so......

I wonder if the mistake was made at the stonemasons or in the original order for the monument?

Peacemaker, cheesemaker, peasmaker! At the end of the day they were simply, noble young men who died doing what they were told to do.

Ken