Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

11th Bn rifle brigade

Guest angie30

Guest angie30

I am interested in the 11th Bn Rifle Brigade. My grandfather Arthur George Dimond served in the 1st world war in this Bn. any information would be helpful as I am just embarking on finding out

The 11th London Bn were called the Finsbury Rifles and had their London drill hall at Bunhill Row near Old st. I'm told their nickname was the Bunhill Pissers, not sure why but i'm sure it involves drinking of some sort. My great uncle was in the 11th and was KIA during the Gallipoli campaign. The Btn sailed from Liverpool on the Aquitania on the 30th July & the Brigade ended up as a convoy off of France. stopped at Malta for a day & eventually arrived in the region around the 6th August 1915. Steve Fuller's web site has some further information. http://bedfordregiment.org.uk/id16.html

Phil

Angie,

What do you need to know on the 11th Rifle Brigade. It was a service battalion formed at Winchester in September 1914 and became part of the 59th Brigade in the 20th (Light) Division going overseas on 21/7/15 landing at Boulogne.

Andy

Rifleman Arthur George Dimond, born Wandsworth, Surrey, Enlisted London (Pimlico). Number S/2988, died of wounds 6/8/16.

Andy

11th Battalion, Rifle Brigade

The Battalion remained in the Ypres Salient until 15th July when it moved to Wormhoudt. During this time it performed one tour of trench duty. On the 10th a raid was attempted by the Battalion but was unsuccessful owing to the gas not affecting the enemy.

On the 19th, the Battalion moved to camp in Ploegsteert Wood and was in the trenches from 20th-23rd. On relief it proceeded to Locre and on the 26th to Authie, eight miles south east of Doullens.

During August the Battalion remained in the same area until the 20th when it moved to Meaulte, two miles south of Albert.

Andy