Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Interesting Downloads

Druid_Ian

Wouldn't connect - told me the web page was unavailable. Sounds good, so hope it's a temporary glitch.

Used Ian's address above & connected immediately. Seems to be limited to American army.

Best wishes

David

Well, seeing as it is the US Army Heritage collection.... ;)

Paul

Used Ian's address above & connected immediately. Seems to be limited to American army.

Best wishes

David

Yes you are right David but a lot of the American info is based on British and French experience and tactics so still relevent

for example in Instructions on the offensive Battle..... Page 179 it gives the amount of ammunition expended to blow a 25m X 20m battery sized breech in barbed wire of 600 rounds at 2500m range rising to 1200 rounds at 7000m using a french 75mm gun and page 175 gives 300 rounds per day for each gun in a battery.

Still useful info in my opinion

also ignore any session expired dialog just click past and page will open

Ian

Hi Ian,

Thank you for this, there is a report regarding the US 78th Division in the Meuse Argonne that I haven't seen before.

Very informative!

Neil

Ian, I understand now why you see the site as important. My interests are naval/merchant not army, but I would have thought you would have been able to get access to British or French accounts giving this information ( or are they still on the secret list?).

Best wishes

David

Ian, I understand now why you see the site as important. My interests are naval/merchant not army, but I would have thought you would have been able to get access to British or French accounts giving this information ( or are they still on the secret list?).

Best wishes

David

Wish I could find a British archive like this online. A think a lot of the Manuals are available in Museums etc.

But if someone somewhere had the ability to collate all the manuals into one online site I would be one very happy bunny.

Some of the manuals are available in print from http://www.militarypress.co.uk/british.htm

for example

SS 192, The Employment of Machine Guns.

SS 197, The tactical employment of Lewis Guns.

SS 214, Tanks and their employment with other arms.

these 3 are available in one book

INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE TRAINING OF DIVISIONS 1916

INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE TRAINING OF PLATOONS 1917

and again both in one book

I've got both books and they are well worth the money in my opinion

I also believe that more books are on the cards from the same source. But the Americans are far ahead in putting these important documents online

Another good source for original material is http://www.archive.org/

got a few regimental histories etc

On a quick look found a book called "Open Boats" about ww1 submarine operations

whilst not a manual might be of interest to you David

Regards Ian