Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

4th Gloucesters man with curious enlistment & discharge dates!

Duncan

I have in my collection a Victory Medal to a Pte 203781 Ernest George Harding Kempster, from Knowle, Bristol. He was born some time around 1897. His MIC states that he enlisted on 16 July 1914 into the 4th Gloucesters (doesn’t state 1/4th or 2/4th), and was discharged due to sickness 16 July 1917. His number indicated overseas service after March 1917, meaning 4 months in France max. Any idea why someone would be home service for over two and ½ years of the war, then be sent overseas for only a few months?

Cheers,

Duncan.

Could it be his age perhaps? Sent out only when he became old enough?

I have come across a lad today who was mobilised with the local territorials at only 15 years old. He went to the front when he was 18 and volunteered for a trench raid on his first time in the trenches, he never came back from it.

Tony.

Or maybe whatever sickness caused him to be discharged in July 1917 had also kept him at home prior to February/March 1917. By the time he would have been sent abroad, the army was becoming decidely less "picky" about who it passed as fit for overseas' service.