Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Footballers died

Jonathan Saunders

Brechin City FC have an article about footballers from the club or footballers with a connection to Brechin who served or died in the war. There's quite a bit of detail about their employment before the war, rank, regiment and war service.

Frank Forbes (Died)

Walter Fowler (Died)

David Glen (Died)

Colin McKenzie Hampton (survived)

Robert Jaffray (or Jeffrey) (Died)

James Livie (Surbived)

David Collie Martin (Died)

J Milne (Survived)

Robert Strachan (Died)

John Alexander Walker (Survived)

Link to Article

Cheers,

Derek.

Henry George Purver

Two Southern League appearances for Brentford 1911-1912.

Royal Fusiliers (City of London Regiment). 24th Battalion.

Died: 31 Jul 1916.

• 2 weeks later...
Interestingly, if you check out Item No. 2194258900 on ebay at the moment,

you'll find this. It's currently 50p, no bids ( and NO, it's not mine!!)

The players are as follows

BASE M.T. FOOTBALL TEAM. SALONIKA GREECE.. DEC.2ND 1917. PLAYERS. TOP ROW. J JACKSON[CHESTERFIELD] T .WILSON [QPR] J. HICHMAN[ EAST HAM]. T.D.CAMPBELL[ WOOLWICH ARSENAL &CHELMSFORD.] G. STEVENSON.BOTTOM ROW. RAKESTRAW. [bLACKBURN ROVERS] J.HOUGHTON .[NORWICH CITY]. CAPTAIN. SYMONS.[ PLYMOUTH ARGLE] .G.E.TRAVERS. BARNSLEY &MANCHESTER UTD].BRADSHAW .[bURNLEY] D.TAYLOR.

Don't know who survived and who didn't as this is a game for women and children!! :P

Did anyone save this picture? - I can't see it and would love to see T D Campbell - so I can let the other Chelmsford City supporters see him ! - all the club records were lost pre 1936.

Not the death of a footballer, but the history of West Bromwich Albion records the signing of Tommy Magee in the trenches......"Nicknamed the 'Mighty Atom' Magee played over 400 games for the Albion over a period of 15 years. He was originally signed while serving in the trenches in France in World War One, sending the appropriate papers back to the Hawthorns by air."

No agents in those days so how did the club manage it I wonder.

During the Second World War most if not all Albion players 'found' reserved occupations, not difficult in the Black Country, and I wonder if this was the same in First one, as has previously been recorded on this thread there only appears to be only one Albion player killed, Harold Bache.

from Villa Stars A-Z:

Born in Bristol in 1884, Billy Gerrish had been a regular goalscorer from the centre forward position for Bristol Rovers for a number of seasons when Ason Villa signed him for two hundred pounds in June 1909. After making a flying start in the famous claret and blue jersey - a goal on his debut against Arsenal at Villa Park on 1st September when Villa won 5-1 - Gerrish was rewarded 8 months later with a First Division championship medal. When Harold Halse was signed from Manchester United, Gerrish's Villa career was over. He joined Preston North End and later Chesterfield before going to war in 1915. He was killed in action aged 32 while serving with the Footballers' Battalion, Middlesex Regiment in France."

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_detail...casualty=748114

It looks like the CWGC has got the age wrong.

Rest in Peace, Billy.

• 1 month later...

Julian Whippy posted this,

"Many of the Charltons fans had already swelled the ranks of the 20th Londons (Woolwich and Blackheath) by the time the club decided to "wind up" for the duration in March 1915. Records show 30 Club members, players and officials joined the forces. 4 lost their lives and seven more were wounded.""

Can anyone name the four who died, please?

Bob

• 2 months later...

Gunner Robert Torrance. Bradford City centre-half. There is a connection to Kirkistilloch in Scotland, where Torrance had left to join BC in 1907. Sorry about the quality of the print from the Yorkshire Evening Post (13-5-1918). Al

post-49438-1252711125.jpg

I bought a magazine today called "Britains Last Tommies" and on the back page is a picture of Private Michael Evans, 1st Battalion Royal Irish Fusiliers, KIA 11th April 1917. 25197

The picture shows him in a football kit. Does anyone have any info on his football career

Portadown FC Footballers

Private George McFadden 419113, 42nd Battalion Canadian Infantry (Quebec Regiment) Died of Wounds 27th March 1916

Corporal William Robb 14626, 9th Battalion Royal Irish Fusiliers, KIA 1st July 1916

Private James Lamb 4626, 1st Battalion Royal Irish Fusliers KIA 21st March 1918

Private Richard Currie 11990, 3rd Battalion Royal Irish Fusiliers died 8th April 1918

Did anyone save this picture? - I can't see it and would love to see T D Campbell - so I can let the other Chelmsford City supporters see him ! - all the club records were lost pre 1936.

Sorry ... just noticed your request.

post-412-1253201012.jpg

• 1 month later...

Two recent discoveries to add to the Chesterfield men:

Gerald Graham, 21st West Yorkshires, kia 1.11.1918; Chesterfield Town (Midland League) 1910-11 season.

Albert Edward Tye, 7th North Staffordshires, missing presumed dead 25.1.1917, Mesopotamia. Chesterfield Town (Football League) 1904-6.

Stuart

• 3 months later...

Found these two footballers in a list of sportsmen died or wounded published on the back page of the 'Referee' newspaper Sept 10th 1916

The article was called 'Field of Honour

Sapper T Blakeley R.E., killed in action, played Association football for Preston North End Reserves, and Southport Central

Sergeant S White, Royal Field Artillery, killled in action, was a well known Association footballer for Bristol Wednesday reserves and a good lightweiht boxer

Caryl

Must confess I enjoy this thread , here a picture of one of the most celebrated Army footbal teams, McCraes Battlion 16th RS, although not a Hearts supporter I can understand their admiration of their men. One of my local teams Newtongrange United sent a staggering 55 players, officials and committee men to the front 8 of them died by the end of the war.

John

post-12171-1265924205.jpg

And the survivors of Newtongrange Utd who folded after the war due to lack of players and joined Newtongrange Star, this is 1919 team

post-12171-1265924431.jpg

Last picture of Newtongrange Utd

post-12171-1265924637.jpg

• 1 month later...

Howell Rees, A Keighley Footballer.

10th Battalion, Durham Light Infantry.

KIA 8th May 1917. Arras Memorial.

Rees_Howell-footballer-01.jpg

Not exactly sure which Keighley team he played for yet but I have someone looking into that.

All his details are here:

Howell Rees

• 3 weeks later...

Just come across this thread

Vivian Sumner Simpson

Regiment Service: York and Lancaster Regiment

Unit Text: 12 Bn - 'Sheffield Pals'

Date of Death: 13/04/1918

Awards: MC

Cemetery: Outtersteene Communal Cemetery Extension, Bailleul

Vivian Simpson played for Sheffield Wednesday between 1902 & 1907. In all he made 38 appearances and scored 11 goals. He was one of the 'old guard' of 'gentlemen players' who played purely for pleasure whilst working outside of the game as a solicitor. He was on Wednesday's books for seven years but played most of his football for amateur club Sheffield and played in every round of their run to the FA Amateur Cup Final in 1904. He missed out on the final due to injury but still received a medal. Also appeared in an England International trials match for the North against the South in 1907. Later signed for then Southern League club Norwich City before moving to Northern Nomads.

Won his MC 28/06/17 for playing a leading part on the attack on Cadorna Trench, Gavrelle-Oppy sector near Arras. Died whilst serving with the 13Bn, Y & L

Also 12Bn Y & L 12/834 RQMS P Doncaster who played for Sheffield Utd. reserves

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

post-15970-052468400 1286968478.jpg

Whilst walking in Couin New British Cemetery last weekend, I came across a headstone for HP Slatter of the RGA. He had recently been visited by a party from Reading FC who had left a wreath from all the management, staff and players at the club. I assume he was an ex player?

Jonathan