Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Footballers died

Jonathan Saunders

Jon,

Bit more on him for you from one of the local papers:-

Born at Sulgrave, Northants. Harry Owen lived at 2, Horace Road, Southend-on-Sea, and was a well known footballer, playing centre-half for Southend United. He enlisted at Hornchurch in May 1915 and was killed on 13th March 1916 aged 34, being buried in Souchez. Second Corporal Turner of 52, Gordon Road, Southend-on-Sea, who was married to his twin sister called into the Southend Standard office while on leave and gave the following account of his death: 'At the time Harry met his death his regiment was stationed to the right of the Royal Fusiliers. Owen was on duty as sentry from three o'clock to four o'clock in the morning, and at 3.55 a.m. - five minutes before he would have been relieved - a trench mortar bomb came over. Owen saw it coming and gave a warning to his section, with the result that he saved the lives of three parts of the section..... The mortar however, burst right in front of him, inflicting forty or fifty wounds on the unfortunate man. He was not killed outright, but lived about an hour in an unconscious condition, and then passed peacefully away'. The chaplain, Rev. A.G. Duthin wrote: 'It is my sad duty to write and tell you that your son, Lance Corporal H. Owen, 1725, was killed in action on the 13th. He was with his battalion in the trenches and met his death instantly. I buried him together with others of his comrades, in an orchard set aside as the cemetery for British troops near the lines where he fell. His comrades have erected an admirable cross to mark the spot where he was laid to rest, inscribed with his name, etc. I can but add my word of sympathy to those expressed by the men who knew him best. It is indeed a vry high price in valuable lives that is demanded of the nation before the peace of the world can be restored. You will always be able to treasure the memory of your son, i company with many others who laid down their lives at the call of duty - the call of the King, country, and God. My servant Private Daywood, has just been in and told me of his friendship for your son, whom he knew personally. His sympathy for you in your sad bereavement is as genuine as that of all of us who knew the life and work of your boy. May God give you and yours strength to bear the sorrow which has been laid upon you.'

His nephews George and Fred Owen both lost their lives in the War.

Andy

• 4 weeks later...

How about the inclusion of a Foreigner, Just like our English teams.

The following is an extract from the Atherstone Advertiser early 1915.

"Among the French killed is Maës, the celebrated French international "soccer" player, of the Red Star Club, the greatest footballer France ever produced."

Terry Reeves -

Like your goodself I'm a long suffering supporter of Coventry City FC. Do you know of any Memorial register for the club?

Please does anyone have a copy of the T V documentary by BBC Scotland about McCrae's Battalion the 16th Royal Scots, with Jack Alexander that I could loan?

Thanks Rodge - They were also known as the Sporting Battalion because of the amount of Footballers who joined their ranks mainly from Hearts.

• 2 weeks later...

Wilfed Bartrop was my grandfather's cousin, and (as mentioned on another page on this forum) I have written a biography of Wilfred. It should be published later in 2008. I was sent a copy of that article in the Sun and was appalled to see that it had every detail wrong (perhaps not suprising). It claimed he fought and survived the Battle of the Somme, but in fact he did not sign up until 1918, and was playing a friendly match for Notts County at the time of the Somme. Anyway, his life will be of great fascination to those interested in footballers who fought in the war, so do let me know if you would like a copy of the book. Otherwise it will be available via Amazon and booksellers, but a little cheaper direct from me.

On Saturday The Sun ran a piece on a Barnsley FA Cup winner from 1912 who was later kia:

Name: BARTROP, WILFRED

Initials: W

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Field Artillery

Unit Text: "X" 40th T.M. Bty.

Date of Death: 07/11/1918

Service No: 252418

Additional information: Husband of Ruby Bartrop, of 12, Allen St., Worksop. Notts.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: In the North West part, close to the entrance.

Cemetery: WARCOING CHURCHYARD

... and was playing a friendly match for Notts County at the time of the Somme...

Shame.

:D

Hello

I would be very interested in a copy of your book - My Grandmothers Great Uncle was George Utley who played with Wilfred Bartrop in the Barnsley sides that contested the 1910 FA Cup and the who won the 1912 FA Cup, but you probably know all that.

George went on to captain Sheffield United and he played in the "Kahki Cup Final" in 1915.

I have been researching a bit about George and the matches he played but I've not been able to confirm what he did during the war. He may have avoided service by heading underground as his family were mostly miners from south of Barnsley.

One of the most interesting players at the Kahki Final, who didn't actually play, was Vivian Woodward. He played as an amateur for Chelsea and England but he had joined up early in the war joining the 17th Middlesex the footballers battalion. But when Chelsea reached the final he was given permission to play by the army. He arrived at Old Trafford but his team mate Bob Thomson who had been injured had recovered and Vivian who was renowned for his sportsmanship refused to take his place as he not played in any of the rounds and felt his team mate who had, deserved the place. Woodward was wounded in 1916 and never played football again.

Look forward to seeing the book

Gavin McL

Wilfed Bartrop was my grandfather's cousin, and (as mentioned on another page on this forum) I have written a biography of Wilfred. It should be published later in 2008. I was sent a copy of that article in the Sun and was appalled to see that it had every detail wrong (perhaps not suprising). It claimed he fought and survived the Battle of the Somme, but in fact he did not sign up until 1918, and was playing a friendly match for Notts County at the time of the Somme. Anyway, his life will be of great fascination to those interested in footballers who fought in the war, so do let me know if you would like a copy of the book. Otherwise it will be available via Amazon and booksellers, but a little cheaper direct from me.

Gavin

Yes I have read a lot about George Utley in the old newspaper reports. Did you know he was the only member of the Barnsey 1912 FA cupping team to go on to play for England? Utley made one appearance for England, playing in a 2–1 defeat to Ireland on 15 February 1913. I don't know what he did during the war though. Bartrop worked in Manton Colliery, Worksop, for most of the war, but joined the Royal Field Artillery in Jan 1918. Bartrop was killed on 7th Nov 1918, the very last day that his unit (40th Division, ‘X/40’ Trench Mortar Battery) fought in the war. When the book is published I'll put a link on here - the book is finished but I'm just waiting for Graham Taylor to write the Foreword.

Yours

Peter

Hello

I would be very interested in a copy of your book - My Grandmothers Great Uncle was George Utley who played with Wilfred Bartrop in the Barnsley sides that contested the 1910 FA Cup and the who won the 1912 FA Cup, but you probably know all that.

George went on to captain Sheffield United and he played in the "Kahki Cup Final" in 1915.

I have been researching a bit about George and the matches he played but I've not been able to confirm what he did during the war. He may have avoided service by heading underground as his family were mostly miners from south of Barnsley.

One of the most interesting players at the Kahki Final, who didn't actually play, was Vivian Woodward. He played as an amateur for Chelsea and England but he had joined up early in the war joining the 17th Middlesex the footballers battalion. But when Chelsea reached the final he was given permission to play by the army. He arrived at Old Trafford but his team mate Bob Thomson who had been injured had recovered and Vivian who was renowned for his sportsmanship refused to take his place as he not played in any of the rounds and felt his team mate who had, deserved the place. Woodward was wounded in 1916 and never played football again.

Look forward to seeing the book

Gavin McL

• 3 weeks later...

At Home Dad,

thanks for the stuff on the O's. For your info they have a nice little display on the Orient at war in the Supporters Club, as you appear to be a local there is also a small Great War Memorial in the gardens next to the ground if you were not aware.

Regards,

Scottie.

I'm certain there a couple of other former players of the O's killed in the Great War and I was a little surprised they didn't include these in their trip and history, I can dig out the details of them should it be of interest?

Steve

Hallo Scottie

Yes, Coronation Gardens, and it's now also looking

a bit smarter than the last few years too!

Kind regards

At Home Dad,

thanks for the stuff on the O's. For your info they have a nice little display on the Orient at war in the Supporters Club, as you appear to be a local there is also a small Great War Memorial in the gardens next to the ground if you were not aware.

Regards,

Scottie.

Steve,

There is an interesting book on Orient in the Great War called 'They Took the Lead' by Steve Jenkins who features in the TV/Radio reports. The books states there were three Orient Players lost in the Great War;

CSM Richard Mc Fadden MM

Private Willliam Jonas

Private George Scott

If you know any more losses please let me know as I would be very interested.

At Home Dad,

yes they do look after the gardens and its a pleasant stroll to the ground after a 'big boys breakfast' in the Royal Cafe!

Regards and best wishes,

Scottie.

Hi Scottie

I'm still working on the database of footballers killed, (so please anyone else add names, I'm sure there are many I have missed!) and at the moment I have to search name by name rather than by club, so its highly possible I have missed another. Couple of bits for you though.

RIDDELL Norman Grey, MM 11/NF, KIA 15/6/18. He was originally with Blyth Spartans, then Morpeth Town, Rochdale and joined Clapton Orient in the 1911 season making 11 appearances before moving onto Rossendale.

In the possible folder is:

HAIGH-BROWN, Alan Roderick, who dies in 1918 according to football records aged 40 or 41, so could well be a non related military death as no obvious matches but until I can eliminate them for definite they remain in the possible folder! He joined Clapton Orient from Brighton & Hove in 1905 but is shown as only making 4 appearances but scoring 1 goal

In the associated folder and I don't know if there is an actual link to modern day Leyton Orient but am sure you will are

HESHAM Frank James, 21 Siege Btty KIA 17/11/15 played for Leyton

and of course

TULL Walter started his career at Clapton before moving to Tottenham in 1909-10

Hope thats of interest

Steve

Swindon Town FC had, according to wikipedia, a single casualty during the Great War. This was

Lt. Freddie Wheatcroft

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_detail...casualty=188228

It is also interesting to try and track some of the players who survived but that, obviously, is a much bigger job - I did find, I think, Harold Fleming's MIC on ancestry.

Definitely an interesting research project.

Regards

Rich

One other Swindon Town guy I can find in the 'possibles' folder as he is down as being 'a member of Swindon Town FC' I don't yet know if that means playing staff or other staff member. He doesn't feature in the players records of the time but with Swindon being members of the SoutHern League at this point that is not at all surprising.

BREWER William Arthur Pte Wiltshire Reg KIA 13/11/14

If anyone can confirm him as a playing member be grateful

Steve

Steve,

thank you for this, really interesting, I am at the club on Saturday so will try to follow up the details you have posted and get back to you.

Its possible that the 'Leyton' you mention is the current non league team in the same area, at the time of the Great War the team now known as Leyton Orient were known as Clapton Orient!

Regards,

Scottie.

Indeed Scottie I'm sure you are right that the Leyton FC and Clapton FC men are not associated with the modern day O's but thought I would add them for local interest. Be very interested if you do find any more on them and I will keep my eyes out for any others as I work through the 'possibles' folder and put them into either the unlikley or confirmed!! So I take it you have a home game Saturday?? As a declared Southend fan I am half expecting you not to reply again now you are aware of the fact!!

Cheers

Steve

Steve,

Souffend!

Well someone has to support them i suppose?

Actually I am a Spurs fan with a 'soft spot' for the O's as i work there match days, we welcome Hereford this weekend.

I will keep you updated if I find anything, good luck with your research.

regards and best wishes for the coming season to you and 'yor lot!'

Scottie.

Scottie

Can you help with Spurs players killed in the Great War, as there seems to be some that are not clear?

Steve

Steve,

sadly no, i did try earlier in the year to create a list but failed miserably and I am sorry to say that i gave up! :wacko:

Regards,

Scottie.

Ex-Spurs player Walter Daniel Tull He played for Northampton Town before he enlisted in the Middlesex Regiment and signed for Rangers whilst at OTC in Gailes but never actually played for the Ibrox club. He went on to become the first black officer in the British Army before he was killed during the German St.Michael's Day advance in 1918 his name features on the Arras Memorial.

sc00014206.jpg

Glesga Highlander,

I was aware of Walter and his Spurs connection, sadly there appears to be no mention/memorial/picture of him that I am aware of at 'The Lane'! I have a contact there and will try to follow this up.

I understand Northampton Town commemerate him!

Regards,

Scottie.