Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Footballers died

Jonathan Saunders

The official history of Newcastle United contains a photo of the 1914 team and states that three of them died in the Great War. They were Thomas Goodwill, Dan Dungilson and Tom Hughes. Goodwill and Dungilson both joined the 16th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers (Newcastle Commercials); both were killed on 1/7/16 in the attack on Thiepval. Their bodies, if recovered, were never identified and they are commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial.

Source: United: The First 100 Years by Paul Joannou, ACL and Polar Publishing, 1992

The Official History 1916 Vol 1 (p402) states that on 1/7/16 the 16th NF 'followed a football drop-kicked by an eminent North Country player'.

Can anyone confirm whether the player was Thomas Goodwill or Dan Dunglinson?

thanks

Simon

EDIT: I've just found this post by Paul Reed - has anyone got anything more on Tommy Thompson?

Further to the above - I can't find a Thompson killed with the 16 NF on 1/7/16 - any ideas anyone?

S

• 4 months later...

A bit late after the 2003 note but Newcastle United had 42 players who served in WW1 plus 5 staff members, all noted on a "Roll of Honour" plaque which is on view at St James Park.

In addition several ex players served in the war too.

5 players were killed when on the playing staff; T Cairns, T Goodwill, D Dunglinson, R McGough and GS Rivers.

Also, ex-players killed include DS Bell VC, T Hughes, JBM Fleming, TS Rowlandson and CE Randall.

5 were killed in the Somme battle, 2 side by side on the first day serving in the Northumberland Fusiliers.

I am finalising a display/memorial for the Club Museum presently.

A bit late after the 2003 note ...

Not at all! I am still following the responses, as I expect others are.

Thanks for your contribution of names.

Regards,

Jonathan Saunders

• 3 months later...

This is my first post!

Does anyone know the name of the first British professional footballer to be killed in the First World War? It would be helpful if any references were also given.

Many thanks.

The first footballer killed is an interesting question.

I haven't scrolled through the other pages of this thread to see if there is an earlier one so apologies if I am stating the irelevant but one of our former players could be a candidate.

Segt William Sutherland of the A&S Highlanders was a player for Southend United (previous clubs Chatham and later Plymouth) he joined SUFC after the manager recomended him from their army days. He rejoined immediately and was KIA 26/8/14.

There's a starting point to work from

Steve

Segt William Sutherland of the A&S Highlanders was a player for Southend United (previous clubs Chatham and later Plymouth) he joined SUFC after the manager recomended him from their army days. He rejoined immediately and was KIA 26/8/14.

Interesting that he played for Chatham - the A&S must have been stationed in Kent/Medway at some point or did he play for them after he came out the army? I know of RWK men that played for Chatham.

I take it you are Steve Newman with the Gallipoli interest?

Regards,

Jonathan S

Indeed that would be me, Jonathan for my sins! And as you may have guessed from the post an interest in my local club Southend.

You are correct in that the A&SH were posted there and I believe the manager of the day of Southend was also a former manager of Chatham. Ironically Sutherland was one of the players that toured Germany with the club just pre war of which I have some postcards of.

Regards

Steve

Indeed that would be me, Jonathan for my sins! And as you may have guessed from the post an interest in my local club Southend.

I know Len Sellars pretty well. Have even walked to Roots Hall with him although we parted at the ground - I was in the Away Supporters end. Len didnt contact me for about 3 months after ... cant remember why now ;)

Not sure when you were last on the Peninsula but sadly it may have changed since you were there, although I know you will be aware of this.

The CWGC site currently has a feature on 'Football in War' with a section on Tottenham Hotspur' saying the players & staff all joined No 1 Section, 22nd Field Company, Royal Engineers.

It quotes the Club Handbook after the War which gave the names of 11 men associated with the Club who died (so including staff & former players), although some or most of these men were with other regiments when they died:-

John B Fleming (d. 21.3.16)

J Jarvie

Alf Hobday

J Hebdon

Edward J Lightfoot (listed on CWGC as JE Lightfoot; d. 20.7.18)

WHD Lloyd

A MacGregor

Finlay Weir (d. 9.7.18)

A Wilson

NA Wood

Walter Tull.

However, the 'Official Encyclopaedia of Tottenham Hotspur FC' by Tony Matthews (2001) also lists:-

Fred Griffiths (d.30.10.17)

George Badenoch (d.15.6.15).

Do we have a clue which club suffered the greatest loss? I understand legend suggests it may be Hearts.

Pal's,

As a Spurs Fan on behalf of a 'Gooner' friend, does anybody know of a casualty list for The Arsenal please?

Regards,

Scottie.

Came across a 2007 published book WAR HAMMERS: The Story of West Ham United during the First World War in my local bookshop today.

It deals more with footballing during the war years but a quick perusal suggests it identifies West Ham players that joined the services.

Here's another one for the list.

Sergeant Arthur Harold WILEMAN MM.

G/19825

11th Battalion Royal Sussex Regiment.

Born: Newhall, Derbyshire 1889.

Inside-forward signed from Burton Albion along with his brother by Chelsea in 1909 where he made just 14 league appearances scoring 5 goals. Went on to play for Millwall, Luton Town and Southend United before enlisting.

Killed in action 28th April 1918.

Commemerated upon the Tyne Cot Memorial.

• 3 weeks later...

On Saturday The Sun ran a piece on a Barnsley FA Cup winner from 1912 who was later kia:

Name: BARTROP, WILFRED

Initials: W

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Field Artillery

Unit Text: "X" 40th T.M. Bty.

Date of Death: 07/11/1918

Service No: 252418

Additional information: Husband of Ruby Bartrop, of 12, Allen St., Worksop. Notts.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: In the North West part, close to the entrance.

Cemetery: WARCOING CHURCHYARD

• 3 weeks later...
Although many Villans served in the war, they seem to have got off lightly. The book records only Arthur Hobson and Tommy Barber as among the dead.

Not sure if the Hobson 'mystery' has been solved already but I've come across an answer.

In 1914, a (Henry) Arthur Dobson played for Villa and served in the North Staffordshire Regiment and was KIA on 29/03/18. This seems to be confimed by the Aston Villa Player Database.

Got more research to do on Pte Dobson, but here's his MIC:

post-29968-1208982509.jpg

Hallo

In a recent purchase of Wilson's The Great War, under a chapter titled Roll Of Honour, it mentions

and has photo of Lt C H Abercrombie, HMS Defence, well known Scottish international footballer.

Also of Lt E H Lintott, West Yorks regt, well known international football player

hope it helps

OK Guys I have now got my teeth well into the Southend United players both present and former who didn't return from the great war and maybe someone can help on a possible?

We have a James Harrower who signs for us around 1908-9 from Kings Park, which is todays Stirling Albion in Fife. There is a James Harrower Capt in the HLI on CWGC who his from Fife and married to a woman in Leigh-on-Sea Essex, which is today part of the borough of Southend, it fits perfectly but I know from past experience that this isn't enough to prove it!!

Just wondering if there are any Stirling fans, or HLI experts who may have anything on him to prove whether he is the one and same James Harrower who signs for us. I will also post this up in the soldiers section.

I have a picture of him in SUFC days so I guess it may be possible to compare one if someone has a WWI photo?

Cheers

Steve

As a matter of interest how many other James Harrower's are there from Fife in the 1901 census that could match the fit. I realsie tehre could be cousins with the same name for example.

Are parish records available fro Leigh and could you search for the marriage entry? That may prove the link.

Regards,

Jonathan S

I have a football book ordered that may hopefully confirm the link, if there is a James Harrower transferred from Kings Park then bingo, if not I will go through the census records, which I never have any luck with!!

Jonathan are you to blame for this thread originally and thus giving me yet another research project!!?? :)

Steve

Jonathan are you to blame for this thread originally and thus giving me yet another research project!!?? :)

I was much younger then!!

• 1 month later...

Here's another one for you Jon, Steve this from the Westcliff Graphic.

Harry Owen

post-1871-1212093761.jpg

mic

post-1871-1212094043.jpg