Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Footballers died

Jonathan Saunders

Well, where has this Death Plaque come from? Perhaps it belongs to the other EP in the CWGC database and the two men have been confused? But in that case, how was the Death Plaque matched with the accompanying Everton memorabilia?

I was kicking myself for not buying - but now ... .

I am decorating the top floor of the house. I would like to go to go to Erquingham tomorrow, but all depends on how rapidly the Dulux flows from tin to ceiling.

So EP played for all three Merseyside clubs? He was not alone. But can you name who played for all three in the same week? For Liverpool on the Saturday, Tranmere on the Wednesday evening, and Everton the following Saturday. We are not talking about wartime matches.

I've found some records, and a family tree, for Ernest Pinkney on 'ancestry'.

1. 1891 Scotland Census: Age 3. Born Glasgow. Living at 138 Aitkenhead Rd, Glasgow Govan, with father Thomas, mother Mary Ann and brother William - 3 mths.

2. 1901 England Census: Age 13. Born Glasgow. Living at 28 Garibaldi St, West Hartlepool, with father Thomas, mother Mary Ann and brother Leonard - 8.

3. 1911 England & Wales Census: Age abt 22. Born Glasgow. Occupation: Professional Footballer - Everton FC. Boarding at 37 Diana St, Walton, with fellow Everton players William Joseph Lacey and Edward Magner.

4. England & Wales BMD Marriage Index: Jul-Sept 1913, West Derby, Lancs. Spouse: Maude A Fairbrother.

5. British Army WW1 Medal Rolls Index Card: Cpl, Royal Engineers. 201725, WR/260437

6. England & Wales Death Index: Birth Date 23/11/1887. Date of Registration June 1975. Age at death 87. Registration district Liverpool.

JP

Guest Les Robertson

Hi everyone, first time on the forum.

Was out with the metal detector at the weekend at a local public footpath through some trees, the path links an old pill box and a water mill.

First find was a Wood Green Football League 1906/07 players medal initials D G C.

Not more than 2 feet away was a Northumberland Fusiliers shoulder title.

Probably not connected but maybe, just maybe.

Footpath is in Smallburgh and I have found an Army Service Corps cap badge and a Mother of Pearl Sweatheart broche which was 18 inch away from footy

medal.

Not sure if this is of any interest to anyone but thought I would share it anyway.

King Regards

Les.

Can anyone please help me with information about the cause of death of SGT THOMAS CHARLESWORTH ALLSOPP (Royal West Surrey Regt att Labour Corps) who died at Norwich on March 7, 1919, aged 38.

He was a fine all-round sportsman who played cricket for Leicestershire (he was born in Leicester) and Norfolk, and football for Leicester Fosse, Luton Town, Brighton & Hove Albion and Norwich City.

I am guessing he may have been a flu victim but cannot find evidence short of getting a death cert.

Well, where has this Death Plaque come from? Perhaps it belongs to the other EP in the CWGC database and the two men have been confused? But in that case, how was the Death Plaque matched with the accompanying Everton memorabilia?

I was kicking myself for not buying - but now ... .

I am decorating the top floor of the house. I would like to go to go to Erquingham tomorrow, but all depends on how rapidly the Dulux flows from tin to ceiling.

So EP played for all three Merseyside clubs? He was not alone. But can you name who played for all three in the same week? For Liverpool on the Saturday, Tranmere on the Wednesday evening, and Everton the following Saturday. We are not talking about wartime matches.

Hedley

I don't know but I know some people who do and I'm trying to resist the temptation of asking them. Just to follow up on the theme of Erquinghem-Lys and Wilf Toman; Robert Elstone, Everton's chief exec led a distinguished deputation from the club out to Erquinghem-Lys for a short service and the laying of flowers. Harry Ross did a nice dedication as usual. As I have a bit of a soft spot for Wilf I was absolutely thrilled.

Pete.

P.S. I hope the painting went well.

You don't know? Call yourself a football fan? Why it was the City of Liverpool Police Band.

You have to be over 65 to understand that, let alone think it might be funny. Sorry.

EP's Death Plaque: I think someone has bought a pup.

Painting: it seems as if I live on the Forth Bridge.

You don't know? Call yourself a football fan? Why it was the City of Liverpool Police Band.

You have to be over 65 to understand that, let alone think it might be funny. Sorry.

EP's Death Plaque: I think someone has bought a pup.

Painting: it seems as if I live on the Forth Bridge.

Hedley

1. Doh! But I did chuckle.

2. You are so right, luckily it wasn't you.

3. We've all been there (never ending painting as opposed to the Forth Bridge, although I have been there).

Later dude,

Pete.

Any help with finding out more details of this footballer, I'd appreciate it, thanks.

**** George Kennedy ****

Born - Dumfries - 1885 (not 100%)

Played for; Lincoln City (1906-1908) Chelsea (1908-1910) Brentford (1910-1913) after Brentford?

1911 Census - George Kennedy - boarder - 33 Adelaide Road Brentford (Plasterer?!)

Where did he go after living here? Where was he in 1901? Did he marry? Children?

Died - alledgedly - December 1917. No specific date known or where exactly.

Is there anyone who could help pin down his army service records & his football career please?

"Ancestry" and "findmypast" haven't really helped, as there are a few people, with this name, that this person could be. One is close but not 100% sure it is the right man.

Nothing on websites, just the vague details given above.

Thanks.

Can anyone please help me with information about the cause of death of SGT THOMAS CHARLESWORTH ALLSOPP (Royal West Surrey Regt att Labour Corps) who died at Norwich on March 7, 1919, aged 38.

He was a fine all-round sportsman who played cricket for Leicestershire (he was born in Leicester) and Norfolk, and football for Leicester Fosse, Luton Town, Brighton & Hove Albion and Norwich City.

I am guessing he may have been a flu victim but cannot find evidence short of getting a death cert.

ancestry.co.uk has a private family tree for Thomas Charlesworth Allsopp which contains an obituary and another item titled 'Professional Cricketer'. If you have access to 'ancestry' you can contact the owner of the tree.

Alternatively, you may be able to find his obituary in the newspaper archive of 'findmypast'.

JP

Any help with finding out more details of this footballer, I'd appreciate it, thanks.

**** George Kennedy ****

Born - Dumfries - 1885 (not 100%)

Played for; Lincoln City (1906-1908) Chelsea (1908-1910) Brentford (1910-1913) after Brentford?

1911 Census - George Kennedy - boarder - 33 Adelaide Road Brentford (Plasterer?!)

Where did he go after living here? Where was he in 1901? Did he marry? Children?

Died - alledgedly - December 1917. No specific date known or where exactly.

Is there anyone who could help pin down his army service records & his football career please?

"Ancestry" and "findmypast" haven't really helped, as there are a few people, with this name, that this person could be. One is close but not 100% sure it is the right man.

Nothing on websites, just the vague details given above.

Thanks.

I believe I have now found the person I was looking for. It nearly all ties in with what I've researched, taken all of Sunday trawlling the 'net and the archives.

Fascinating to read a Battalion diary online too.

I now believe he is Brentford FC's most decorated soldier.

George William Kennedy DCM, MM, MID. No.418239

Born 12th March 1882. Died 16th November 1917. Passchendaele.

Emigrated to Canada, from Scotland, in June 1914.

Joined the Canadian Infantry, 42nd Battalion (Royal Highlanders) Quebec Regiment.

Buried at Lijssenthoek Military Cemetery.

Football Career

Lincon CIty FC 1906-1908

Chelsea FC 1908-1910

Brentford FC 1910-1913

Dumfries FC 1913-14

Unmarried.

• 10 months later...

Here is another footballer for the list. Charles William Parkes, Goalkeeper for Athestone Town. RWR died 23/12/1915

I poor copy of the team photo and a transcript of a letter from the Chaplain to his mother. Not so easy to post an image these day's.

BRgds Alan

Pte Frederick Henry Bailey died on 1st July 1916, he was a stretcher bearer in 24th Field Ambulance. He played Football for Exeter City before the war, he was also an all-round Sportsman, and a record holder in track & field sports in Devon.

• 2 months later...

Hi Julian,

I am the granddaughter of Frank "Bronco" Burton and am doing research on my Grandad I have been unable to find any birth records regarding him being a Mexican I wonder if you can help me with this mystery I have always been under the impression he was born in Stockport?? If you or anyone else has any info on Frank I would really appreciate it Thanks

• 1 year later...
On 13/09/2009 at 00:19, tclydesdale said:

I bought a magazine today called "Britains Last Tommies" and on the back page is a picture of Private Michael Evans, 1st Battalion Royal Irish Fusiliers, KIA 11th April 1917. 25197

The picture shows him in a football kit. Does anyone have any info on his football career

Hi everyone. I know this is a huge long shot, but I'm just hoping people are still active on this forum. My wife has just stumbled across it. The man that tclydesdale mentions is in fact my great grandfather. He was from Newry, Co.Down, N.Ireland. he was killed in action during the battle of Arras on 11th April 2017, and is buried in Browns Copse cemetery, Rouex, France. Its only been the last couple of years we have found out anything about him, and the only one picture we have of him is the one I have attached. I'm trying to track down the magazine tclydesdale mentions, but if he happens to see this post or if anyone has any information to the picture of my great grandfather in a football kit or what teams kit it was I would be really really greatful. 

Thank you

FB_IMG_1511115626007.jpg

• 4 years later...
On 04/04/2004 at 22:05, Old Chap said:

Not a casualty but his two sons sadly died.

George Molyneux played for Everton and was also an English International. His two sons, 22782 Ellis Molyneux, 20th Liverpool battalion (Pals), kia 20/10/16. I think the other son was 15613, George Molyneux, 14th Royal Irish Rifles, kia 1/7/16.

An ancient post but it needs tidying up:-

Father Ellis Molyneux Snr lost 2 sons, Sgt Ellis Molyneux #22782 KLR and L/Seaman Joseph H. Molyneux Z/69 RNVR

Both Joe and Ellis played for Lawrence AFC, we have the team photo 

It was the elder brother George who played for Everton and went on to be a manager.

Dave

From the BNA

MolyneuxE_ExtraFamilyInfo_1917Nov13.png.93cf90b99fe7f292b90a0066a080f574.png

22 hours ago, davidbohl said:

An ancient post but it needs tidying up:-

Thanks Dave, that is really useful. I'll let Tony Wainwright know as the Molyneux family connection has come up before and it's one that I've been meaning to look at. I'm working on something about brothers being killed so this is of major interest. Joe is in Ancre on the Somme, it's a cemetery that I've looked at from a distance many times, mainly from the Ulster Tower but have never visited.

Pete.

4 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

I'll let Tony Wainwright know

Pete, I'm just packaging up a bit for Tony now, I'll send it over to him

cheers

Dave

1 hour ago, davidbohl said:

Pete, I'm just packaging up a bit for Tony now, I'll send it over to him

cheers

Dave

Great stuff Dave; I'll drop him a line anyway to discuss. As long as we don't talk about football........

Pete.

7 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

Joe is in Ancre on the Somme

Pete.

Grave IV. A. 8  That puts him 8 up in the row next to the wall on the extreme right. (counting up from the gap in the headstones about half way along)  He's just under that tree.  Sorry, haven't got a better photo - I was looking for compatriots with PO/ numbers from 2RMLI as the great uncle of SWMBO was wounded in the action on 13 November - I think that wound saved his life. 

It's a nice cemetery to visit.

DSC02589.JPG

With the site of the Schwaben Redoubt still glowering down from the top of the hill. A fine photo Reg, much appreciated.

Pete.

Rossendale United Football Club (The Stags) was a semi-professional football club based in the village of Newchurch in the Borough of Rawtenstall (now Borough of Rossendale), Lancashire, England. The club was founded in 1898 and had a long and eventful existence which had seen a lot of success, but also long periods of hardship that had brought the clubs existence in to doubt on many occasions before they were finally expelled from the North West Counties League Premier Division on 18 June 2011, and forced to dissolve. Their ground at Dark Lane was destroyed by fire shortly after this.  There are four known former players who served in the Great War and did not return.  They are:

38018 Pte James Weir, East Lancashire Regiment (France and Belgium 1918)

S/12169 Pte John James Taylor, Seaforth Highlanders (Mesopotamia 1916)

33958 Pte Herbert Allen, Lancashire Fusiliers (France and Belgium 1918)

11/15833 CSgt Norman Grey Riddell MM, Northumberland Fusiliers (Italy 1918)

A rumbustious full back to add to the list is 4904 Private Julius Gregory of the 20th Royal Fusiliers, formerly of Bury, Manchester City (3 matches), Brighton and Hove Albion and Luton Town.  On the 1911 Census he is living at 121 Partridge Road, Rhondda, and gives his profession as professional footballer, but I haven't been able to find out who he was playing for - my rudimentary searches so far haven't turned up any club in South Wales that "claims" him. 

Born Romiley, Stockport in 1881, died at High Wood, 20th July 1916 and is remembered on the Thiepval Memorial to the Missing

More details here: Julius Gregory - Football and the First World War

I hope that TullochArd won't take offence but I have been to Rossendale United and from what I remember of the ground Dark Lane was a good name for it.

On 24/09/2003 at 14:56, CROONAERT said:
Edited by Alisonmallen62
Mistake didn’t realise I had done this was just reading