Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt-Colonel W.H. ‘Harry’ Carter DSO+bar MC+bar

AndyJohnson

Does anyone have further information on this amazing man who joined the 2nd South Staffs in 1899 as a Private, rose to Lieutenant-Colonel (temp) in war time, and even Brigadier-General during the army of occupation?

This link http://www.firstworldwar.bham.ac.uk/forgotten/carter.htm has detail from the B'ham University first world war studies web site with more information.

Post war, this Brigadier-General returned to Wolverhampton became a motor-cycle mechanic with AJS and steel-erector!

Andy

Andy

Carter W H

(DSO, LG 20th Oct 1916), (Bar, LG 2nd April 1919) (Details LG 10th Dec 1919)

Born 20th March 1880 son of W J Carter

2nd Lt S Staffs 4th Jan 1915; Lt 18th June 1915; Capt. R War Regt 11th Dec 1916; Lt Col Commanding S Staffs 14th Nov 1917; Brevet Major 3rd June 1918

DSO awarded for gallantry at Guillemont on 6th Aug 1916; MC and Bar; Despatches

LG 20th Oct 1916

Carter, William Henry Lieut (Temporary Major) M.C. South Staffordshire Regiment

“For conspicuous gallantry during operations. He commanded the battalion after his CO was wounded and displayed great skill and personal courage. He went about everywhere encouraging his men and making personal reconnaissances during three days of heavy fighting. He set a fine example to his command.

LG 10th Dec 1919

Carter, William Henry, DSO, MC, Capt and Brevet Major (Temporary Lieut Col), Royal Warwickshire Regiment attached to 7th Battalion, South Staffordshire Regiment

“For skilful leading of his battalion during the operations 8th and 9th Nov. 1918, in the advance from Autreppe to Geognies Chaussee. On 8th November 1918, he by his drive and initiative kept his battalion going forward through heavy enemy opposition and by a personal reconnaissance reported his exact dispositions at the end of the day. He has at all times set a very fine example to those under him.

(DSO gazetted 20th October 1916)

Pam

Thanks for that Pam. Was this something you miraculously extracted from LG (I fail every time) or did you already know about Carter?

Regards

Andy

Interesting that O'Moore Creagh and Humphris' book on the DSO doesn't mention his OR service, merely noting that he was 2nd Lt, S Staffs on 4.1.15!

Wonder where his gongs are?

Andy

Just to prove I can work the LG sometimes.

LG 23rd Dec 1915

Second Lieutenant William Henry Carter, 2nd Battalion, The South Staffordshire Regiment

“For consistent good work throughout the campaign, notably on 24th November, 1915.

The enemy exploded a mine under Gibson’s crater, south of the Le Bassée road, killing and wounding most of the garrison. Lieutenant Carter at once went up and commenced reorganising the defence of the crater. He was slightly wounded, but remained at his post, and it was mainly due to his courage and example that two hostile bomb attacks on the crater were repulsed. He also organised a bomb attack on the enemy, thus keeping them quiet for four hours, while the position was being consolidated.”

LG 9th September 1916

Awarded a Bar to his Military Cross

Lt William Henry Carter, S Staff R

“ For conspicuous and consistent gallantry.

Hardly a week passes without his name being brought to notice for some act of devotion and gallantry. Lately he carried out most gallant rescue work under fire after a night raid. He arrived in France in August, 1914, as signalling serjeant of the battalion, and has been with it in every action. Nothing affects his courage and nerve.

(The Military Cross was awarded in Gazette dated 23rd December, 1915)

An exeptionally brave man.

Pam

I have done a bit of research into this chap, as he spent some time with the 17/Middlesex, a few days as acting CO. He also was in command of the 13 Essex for a spell. From what I have discovered about him, he certainly led from the front...

Regards,

AGWR

AGWR

If your researches uncover anything else about this exceptional man, I would be very interested.

Steve

The speaker-finder from W'ton WFA asked me if I knew anything about WH Carter (I shamefully hadn't heard of him). I'll ask Alan this week if he knows where his medals are - it would be nice if they were on display somewhere. I'll let you know after the week-end.

Thanks for the input.

Andy

hello Andy

This was going to be a super scoop. I knew I had a group photo of some Royal Warwicks officers at the end of the war. One in particular looks like the photo of Harry Carter on the Birmingham University Web page concerning his army service. (well a big moustache in common !) I knew that the officer in my photo had a Warwicks cap badge and Staffordshire lapel badges and also medal ribbons.... However, this officer was North Staffs attached to the Royal Warwicks. Have attached a close up of him so you can see why I thought it could have been him.

Regards

Terry

post-66-1144335015.jpg

S Africa medals?

Look at those eyes - what a story they tell!

Nice try Terry, a bit of Photoshop manipulation & it's a SS badge!

Regards

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

hello Andy

Found the clipping in a Birmingham Weekly Post, published 1 Jan 1916. Hope it is of interest.

Cheers Terry

p.s. Thanks for the Black Country Bugle article you sent me last week.

post-66-1145462584.jpg

Thanks Terry - another Pals article on its way this week.

Re his medals - they're in the possesion of his sole remaining daughter, and happily will remain with the family.

Andy

Carter is seated on left - could this be 17th Middlesex - weren't they a sportsman Bn - although any Bn could have a football team - anyone recognise the strip?

Andy

post-5672-1145575253.jpg

• 12 years later...

Hi there,

can anyone tell me the exact medals he received please? I know he received DSO + Bar, MC and Imperial Russian Order of St. Stanislas (laus), does anyone now what the others were.... am presuming pip/squeak/wilfred.... were there any others?

thanks

David

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Good morning Chris,

My name is Alan Sykes and I live in Bridgnorth, Shropshire.

I have seen your post when in research of a Colonel Carter with links to Highley, Shropshire. There was a RAOB (Buffs) lodge named after a Col Carter, no one knows of anything else and i am doing some research.

Can you shed any light on possible links to this?

You can get in touch on this forum if you would kindly like to add any information.

The articles i have read on the Gentleman are outstanding, you are surely very proud of your family history.

Regards,

Alan

Edited by Guest
Typo

Sadly, Chris seems not to have visited the Forum since last November.

• Admin
20 hours ago, Al Sykes said:

Good morning Chris,

My name is Alan Sykes and I live in Bridgnorth, Shropshire.

I have seen your post when in research of a Colonel Carter with links to Highley, Shropshire. There was a RAOB (Buffs) lodge named after a Col Carter, no one knows of anything else and i am doing some research.

Can you shed any light on possible links to this?

You can get in touch on this forum if you would kindly like to add any information.

The articles i have read on the Gentleman are outstanding, you are surely very proud of your family history.

Regards,

Alan

Alan

Welcome to the Forum

As Steven has said Chris hasn't been on the forum for a while but if you reply to this you will have made the 2 posts necessary to be able to access the forum's private message system. Click on Chris's user name and select message (the envelope icon). Once you have sent your message he will receive an email alert to his registered email address.

Good luck with your research

David