Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Robert TYMON d. 21.5.1918

Guest Ticker

Can anybody help me to find out more about Robert TYMON who is listed on the CWGC site as follows:

Name: TYMON

Initials: R

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Royal Welsh Fusiliers

Unit Text: 1st Bn.

Date of Death: 21/05/1918

Service No: 17032

Additional information: Son of James Tymon, of 18, Taylor St., Westleigh, Lancs; husband of Mary J. Tymon, of 6, Aspull Street, Westleigh, Lancs.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Plot 2. Row A. Grave 5.

Cemetery: MAGNABOSCHI BRITISH CEMETERY

Thanks in anticipation.

From SDGW

Died Italy Born Aspull Lancs enlisted Leigh Lancs

• 1 month later...

Robert Tymon embarked on the 20th July 1915 for France. He was not killed in action, but was killed in an accident. Unfortunately I have no further details on this.

A check of the 1901 census, I think, will confirm that his brother William joined up with him, as there was also a Pte William Tymon with a regimental number of 17033, who survived the war but was discharged due to wounds. (he was wounded around the 3rd Spetember 1916 and again in May 1917)

Richard

• 12 years later...

His name is on the memorial at St Paul Wesleigh Leigh, currently in Wigan, Greater Manchester, but was of Leigh, Lancashire. James Tymon was my great grandfather if I remember correctly. 18 Taylor Street was demolished about 1957? when my grandmother Clara Tymon moved to 18 Glover Street. Her maiden name was Clara Winstanley, and  her husband ? Henry James Tymon died age 56? in 1940/45. I believe James Tymon, father of Robert, died of heart attack in his mid '90's at Taylor Street. It's years since I had contact with any family members (I'm the "Black sheep") but some are likely in the area.