Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Boer War Badge

nfh249

OK so it's not the First World War, but I thought I'd try and tap the knowledge of the forum.

I have aquired a badge which it was suggested was the slouch hat badge of the 3rd (Yorkshire) Battalion Imperial Yeomanry from the Boer War. I haven't been able to find any reference to it on the web etc. and I was wondering if anyone out there knows anything or recognises it? I guess it would have been an unofficial thing but since they issued a Yorkshire Imperial Yeomanry medal it could be possible.

Neil.

Kipling & King describe a East Riding Imperial Yeomanry Badge as Fox in Full Cry,but in W/M no illustration however.

Harry

Illustration is opposite page 362. Picture 1495.

Terry Reeves

Terry

I was working on Page 348 Imperial Yeomanry not Yeomanry 1908~onwards,no number is given so i didnt know if the badge would be the same???

HB ;)

Hi guys,

My interest is in the East Riding (of Yorkshire) Yeomanry and that is how I became interested in this badge.

I have been looking into the story of their cap badge, and I have a copy of a book, 'Sport' by Bromley-Davenport, which was the inspiration for the 2nd pattern fox (no issues about copyright then its a straight copy of the title page illustration!) as the first one was considered to look more like a greyhound. But I saw this badge and wondered if it might have been the original inspiration for the regimental badge, I'm sure there were several men in the regiment (it wasn't formed until 1902/1903) who had served in South Africa with other regiments (the Yorkshire Dragoons and Yorkshire Hussars). I suppose it could be an unofficial version of the East Riding Badge... the 2nd pattern fox survives today as the shoulder badge of Y Squadron Queen's Own Yeomanry

Neil.

First Pattern 1902-1908

Second Pattern 1908-1956