Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

11th Nov 1918

Barry Hayter

Would be interested to learn how the onset of peace was recorded in any War Diaries you may hold.

Having check the 11th Nov for the 4th RWF Pioneers I was left almost deflated as I read;

--------------------------------------------------

BIZENCOURT Damp

C Coy employed on Northern Divisional route.

Hostilities ceased 11am.

--------------------------------------------------

And that was it! I suppose on reflection there might well not have been a huge degree of elation, just utter exhaustion after so many dreadful years of conflict.

Are there any more interesting or indeed similarly melancholic examples out there?

History of the 1st Battalion East Yorkshire Regiment.

11th November 1918

On the morning of the 11th November we were formed up to march into Eclaibes, and as we were moving off we were informed of the Armistice. We were billeted in Eclaibes, and were there some time.

Regards Charles

Guest geoff501
Are there any more interesting or indeed similarly melancholic examples out there?

Not a war diary, but a comment from Capt. B.F.J. Schonland, O.B.E., R. E. in an article written for Wireless World in October 1919:

"And then, not unexpectedly, but suddenly all the same, so dramatic was its significance, came the message from the Eiffel Tower which rang down the curtain on the World War. At 5.0 a.m. on the morning of November 11th, when the operator on spark or continuous-wave set was drowsily wondering how soon the day's attack would mean another day's 'S.O,'s' and 'D,'s', came the message: 'Marshall Foch to the Allied Commanders.- Hostilities will cease at 11.0 a.m.' That message was delivered in well over half the cases, delivered to the fighting troops by wireless. And in the tumultuous crash which followed, in the repetition of the message by the thousands of wireless sets in the army, one recalled another wireless message. Date, August 4th 1914, a big German land station to ships at sea: 'War has been declared with Russia, France and England, England, England, England'."

I've no idea what SOs and Ds are..

Date, August 4th 1914, a big German land station to ships at sea: 'War has been declared with Russia, France and England, England, England, England'."

I've no idea what SOs and Ds are..

Sorry to spoil the Captain's good story, but I don't think that that message could have been sent on 4th August unless someone wasn't keeping abreast of events. Germany declared war on Russia on 1st August, and on France on 3rd August.

I'm happy to be corrected, but I don't think Germany ever declared war on Britain (England) - it was the other way round. (But that one was on August 4th.)

Tom

From The Wardrobe website.

1st Wiltshire Monday 11th November 1918 France, Berlaimont

11.00. Instructions received that HOSTILITIES were to cease at 11.00 and that defensive measures to be taken and that no intercourse was to be held with the enemy.

Lieut Col G B Ward, DSO returned from leave and assumed command of the Battn.

12.45. Battn proceed by March Route to BEAUFORT. Battn HQ established at W.14.d.2.7. Sheet 51.

Appx

SPECIAL ORDER OF THE DAY BY

GENERAL HON. SIR J H G BYNG, KCB, KCMG, MVO.

Commanding Third Army

To all Ranks of the Third Army

The operations of the last three months have forced the enemy to sue for armistice as a prelude to peace.

Your share in the consummation of this achievement is one that fills me with pride and admiration.

Since August 21st you have won eighteen decisive battles, you have driven the enemy back over sixty miles of country and you have captured 67,000 prisoners and 800 guns.

That is your record gained by your ceaseless enterprise, your indomitable courage and your loyal support to your leaders.

Eleven Divisions in the four Corps (Guards, 2nd, 3rd, and 62nd, 5th, 37th, 42nd, and New Zealand, 17th, 21st, and 38th) have been continuously in action since the beginning of the advance and have borne the brunt of the operations. Other Divisions have joined and left, each one adding fresh lustre to its history.

To all ranks, to all Corps and formations, to all administrative and transport units, I tended my thanks. May your pride in your achievements be as great as mine is in the recollection of having commanded the Army in which you served.

J BYNG, General, Commanding Third Army.

Appx

21st Division Special Order. Monday, 11th November,1918.

The work which the Division has done, whilst helping to win the great series of victories which has forced Germany to sue for peace, has been surpassed by no Division and equalled by few, if any, in the whole of the Allied Armies.

The record of the Division during the past eight months is absolutely unique.

Every officer, NCO and Man who has ever belonged to the 21st Div may well be proud of the fact and especially those who fought so doggedly through the dark days of the Spring, and early Summer, and then returned to the attack with a spirit which no troops in this world could have surpassed.

Proud indeed you may be, and proud indeed am I to have the honour of commanding such a glorious Division during the greatest epoch making period in the history of the whole world.

Peace is not yet ensured and, until it is, I confidently rely on every officer, NCO and Man so training himself that, whatever the result of the peace negotiations may be, you will be prepared to live up to the magnificent reputation which you have so rightfully and worthily earned and which will cause the name of the 21st Division to be remembered and honoured as long as our Empire exists.

(signed)

D G M Campbell, Major General, Commanding 21st Division.

2nd Bn Wilts.Same source.

2nd Wiltshire Monday 11th November 1918 France, Eth

At 0930 hours a verbal message was received from the Brigade saying that hostilities would cease at 1100 hours. This was confirmed by wire at 1000 hours. The Battalion Band paraded and played outside billets for one hour to commemorate the cessation of hostilities. The civil population of ETH was overjoyed and shared in the general rejoicing. The village church bell which had been hidden from the Germans for four years was unearthed and rung for some time, the sound of it mingling with the Battalion Band. The Officers on the strength of the Battalion were, Lieut Col PSL BEAVER MC Major WS Shepherd MC, Capt AJ Samut MC, Capt PP Legg MC, Capt JH Peacock, Lieut E Hogarth, 2nd Lt HT Hockley MM, 2nd LIEUT EJ Webb, 2nd Lt J Robinson, 2nd Lt GV Auton DCM, 2nd Lt AF French, 2nd Lt WA Humphreys, 2nd Lt BC Hunter, 2nd Lt LWM Langler, 2nd Lt DW Davies, Lieut CB de Forest (MRC, USA) Medical Officer, 2nd Lt ED Galpin (Signalling officer attached from 9th Bn Royal Welsh Fusiliers) and Rev WEC Barrett. Those not with the Battalion were, Capt FV Kelway, 2nd Lt I Fraser MC and 2nd Lt AEM Welsford on leave, Lieut HS Kemshead on course, 2nd Lt EH Bealch on course, Lt & QM E O'Hanlon, 2nd Lt RW Gore and 2nd Lt R Leith in hospital.

1/4th Wiltshire Monday 11th November 1918 Palestine, Kerkur

Bn marched at 0930 to KERKUR distance about 11 miles arriving there a t 1300, very heavy rain but cleared up by afternoon which enabled all to dry their clothes.

5th Wiltshire Monday 11th November 1918 Mesopotamia, At Kirkuk

11th - 14th

Remained in Barracks.

6th Wiltshire Monday 11th November 1918 Belgium, Dottignies

Training under Company arrangements.

Wire received from 42nd Inf. Bde. that Hostilities cease 11.00. Nov. 11th recd. At 10.30.

Church Parade in Theatre at 14.30.

7th Wiltshire Monday 11th November 1918 France, DOURLERS

1100. Hostilities ceased, Armistice being signed.

I have got all these in-print but easier to copy & paste from the website.http://www.thewardrobe.org.uk/wardiary.php3

Guest geoff501
Sorry to spoil the Captain's good story, but I don't think that that message could have been sent on 4th August unless someone wasn't keeping abreast of events. Germany declared war on Russia on 1st August, and on France on 3rd August.

I'm happy to be corrected, but I don't think Germany ever declared war on Britain (England) - it was the other way round. (But that one was on August 4th.)

Tom,

you are correct. If the captain's quote is accurate then I guess this is an omnibus transmission giving

the current state of affairs at 4th August. The word 'with' may be an economical use of words rather than explaining the rather more complicated series of events (or lost in translation?). These were early days of radio (spark transmitters) and the message seems to be directed at shipping isolated at sea (no satelites or cell phones in those days!). However I cannot find any other transcript of this message other than the captains version.

hello

1st btn Coldstream Gds - early in the morning came news that German y had signed an armistace and that hostilities where to cease at 11 that day...

2 nd Btn Coldstream Gds - Hostilities ceased at 11 am..

3rd Btn Coldstream Gds - no mention of it ! They where in camp from the 1st to the 13th

Dont have the 4th Battalion as its not been digitized

Ian

Oops

posted twice

Ian

The diary entries for 29 of the CEF units are available here. Leave the unit blank and put in the date range of 11/11/1918 to 11/11/1918

The entries range from "Hostilities ceased" to a full accounting of the day.

marc

From the War Diary of the 7th (Service) Battalion Northamptonshire Regiment:

11/11/18

Battalion moved off at 6.50 am and marched to billets in Louvignies-Bavay area arriving at 10 am.

News of the signing of an armistice was received on the day.

(Note: in the previous entry, the Battalion is billeted at Le Raguelle near Feignies. No mention of trains, buses or trucks, so I must suppose that the three-hour march to the new billets must be done riding Shank's pony and carrying full kit and equpment. Prior to 11-11-1918 the 7th Northants had being involved in fighting actions of advance into enemy-held territoire from 3-11-197 to 9-11-1918)

Gloria

From 17th London Batt (Poplars) diary

11th November 1918

17 Division withdrawn from the pursuit having been pinched out by the Corps

on the right and the left. Battalion received orders to move back to La Tombe

on the left bank. News was received that the enemy had signed the Armistice

terms. No casualties.

Comment by my father who was on the march

'news of the Armistice reached us on the march westwards and hardly

raised a cheer'.

Ron

Hertfordshire Regiment

'The Bn marched back to Bethencourt'

Glyn

15/17th West Yorkshire Battalion War Diary entry for the 11th November 1918

0945. The Battalion marched from Renix. Route-Railway Crossing X.17.b.7.1. -Devluet-Road Junction S.15.a.9.7. -Beaufaux-Rigaudrye-.

1330. The Battalion billetted. Batt. Headqrs. at S.23.b.1.9. (Ref. Sheet 30.)

1100. The Armistice came into operation.

Regards Kevin

Here is an excerpt from the war diary of the 1st Canadian Motor Machine Gun Brigade which was charged with maintaining contact with the Germans during the last 6 weeks of the war. They had just been involved in heavy actions from 1-6 November 1918 and most of the mobile armoured machine gun batteries were out of the line for rest, refit and replacements.

Borden Battery

Sun, Nov 10, 1918 VALENCIENNCES, FRANCE

1st Canadian Motor Machine Gun Brigade – E10A 40, Sheet 51 A

Church parade 0900 hours followed by Muster Parade and Kit Inspection. LIEUT. W. H. SMITH reports from CANADIAN MACHINE GUN CORPS REENFORCEMENT DEPOT. CAPT. F. F. WORTHINGTON M.C. M.M. and 3 O.R. left to attend machine gun course at G.H.Q.S.A. SCHOOL CAMIERS. Two Armoured Cars under LIEUT. W. H. SMITH reported to 2nd C.M.M.G. BDE. at FRAMERIES.

--- signed , Lt.-Col. W.K. Walker, Commanding 1st Canadian Motor Machine Gun Brigade

Mon., Nov 11, 1918 VALENCIENNCES, FRANCE

Brigade Parade 0930 hours – Battle Order – Gun Crews paraded with full Gun Equipment. This parade was followed by Physical Training and close order Drill. Hostilities ceased at 1100 hours. This order was communicated to the parade by the Commanding Officer at 1050 hours. Battery Parades in the afternoon. The Armoured Cars attached to the 2nd C.M.M.G. BDE. went forward from FRAMERIES at dawn but received orders to cease fire before they engaged the enemy. They remained in support until withdrawn on the 13-11-18.

--- signed , Lt.-Col. W.K. Walker, Commanding 1st Canadian Motor Machine Gun Brigade

Tue., Nov 12, 1918 VALENCIENNCES, FRANCE

The Commanding Officer inspected the Batteries at 0930 hours, Headquarters personel at 1030 hours and Battery Billets at 1100 hours. 1400 hours Battery Parade. 1430 hours Commanding Officer’s inspection of M.T. SECTION and Brigade Vehicles. LIEUT. J. M. PEEBLES and 10 O.R. returned from CANADIAN CORPS MACHINE GUN SCHOOL.

Warning order to move to the RHINE - Appendix III

From the Battalion War Diary of the 13th Rifle Brigade

"The Battalion moved to Caudry. The Armistice was declared on the same day. Remained at Caudry till the end of the month carrying out usual training. Divisional and Brigade inspections during this period."

Andy

Tom,

you are correct. If the captain's quote is accurate then I guess this is an omnibus transmission giving

the current state of affairs at 4th August. The word 'with' may be an economical use of words rather than explaining the rather more complicated series of events (or lost in translation?). These were early days of radio (spark transmitters) and the message seems to be directed at shipping isolated at sea (no satelites or cell phones in those days!). However I cannot find any other transcript of this message other than the captains version.

That would explain the repetition of " England ". It is being added to an existing list as it were.

Fascinating stuff, really does appear everybody was largely sick of the fighting. Or perhaps they weren't sure if it was for real, perhaps there had been rumours and assumptions for for last 100 days of the war.

• 12 years later...
On 01/04/2006 at 00:18, Owen D said:

2nd Bn Wilts.Same source.

2nd Wiltshire Monday 11th November 1918 France, Eth

At 0930 hours a verbal message was received from the Brigade saying that hostilities would cease at 1100 hours. This was confirmed by wire at 1000 hours. The Battalion Band paraded and played outside billets for one hour to commemorate the cessation of hostilities. The civil population of ETH was overjoyed and shared in the general rejoicing. The village church bell which had been hidden from the Germans for four years was unearthed and rung for some time, the sound of it mingling with the Battalion Band. The Officers on the strength of the Battalion were, Lieut Col PSL BEAVER MC Major WS Shepherd MC, Capt AJ Samut MC, Capt PP Legg MC, Capt JH Peacock, Lieut E Hogarth, 2nd Lt HT Hockley MM, 2nd LIEUT EJ Webb, 2nd Lt J Robinson, 2nd Lt GV Auton DCM, 2nd Lt AF French, 2nd Lt WA Humphreys, 2nd Lt BC Hunter, 2nd Lt LWM Langler, 2nd Lt DW Davies, Lieut CB de Forest (MRC, USA) Medical Officer, 2nd Lt ED Galpin (Signalling officer attached from 9th Bn Royal Welsh Fusiliers) and Rev WEC Barrett. Those not with the Battalion were, Capt FV Kelway, 2nd Lt I Fraser MC and 2nd Lt AEM Welsford on leave, Lieut HS Kemshead on course, 2nd Lt EH Bealch on course, Lt & QM E O'Hanlon, 2nd Lt RW Gore and 2nd Lt R Leith in hospital.

One of the officers listed was my g-uncle  Capt Arthur Samut  MC,

http://agiusww1.com/we-will-remember-them-1914-1918/

• 5 weeks later...

Maybe a little off topic if I read previous reactions, but I didn't want to open a new topic for my question. Does anyone have an idea which ironic name the Germans gave the Armistice of 1918? The name should be derived of a hunting term.

I think the official German word was Waffenstillstand - weapons stand-still.

Ron

1 / 4 KSLI war diary entry for 11 Nov 18 states:

"Batt cleaning up. At 0930 received official intimation of cessation of hostilities at 11.00, at which hour the band played the French and British national anthems in the square. All the troops excited".

The battalion was at Bry, just south of Eth, which featured in the 2nd Wilts war diary above. It's last operational duty was a recce patrol which crossed the battlefield of Malplaquet, where Marlborough defeated a French Army in 1709.