Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A Soldier's Diary of The Great War

Myrtle

I picked up this book at my local market for 50p and wonder if anyone knows if it was a true diary and if so whose ? The book was published in 1929 and the soldier is said to be in the London Regiment in 1914 and then joins the RFC in August 1916.

Myrtle,

Some people have all the luck - it's a snip at 50p and excellent value.

Capt. D H Bell went to school with Williamson and and served with him in the LRB 1914-15. Bell was commissioned into the Seaforth Highlanders in April 1915 and was quickly wounded at Hill 60. He returned to the front for Loos and the Somme, was awarded the MC and later in 1916 transferred to the RFC as a pilot.

It's an excellent account of Bell's war, if rather brief towards the end.

Martin

PS Gallipoli pictures are in hand but there are an awful lot of names .....

Martin

Thank you for identifying the book. I was pleased when I found it but even more pleased now that I know who wrote it. I couldn't understand why the author was not mentioned by name and therefore wondered if it was a fictional diary based on true events.

Today I was pleased to find a Handbook to Belgium published pre WW1 but with an inscription dated 1919. It contains maps and town plans so will be very useful.

Re: Gallipoli Photos - No worry - I am grateful that you have been able to take the photographs and look forward to seeing them whenever you have time. :)

Myrtle