Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Corporal Thomas Done

Guest Carolyn

Could someone do me a big favour please? If anyone has SDGW/ODGW (not sure which one a corporal would be on, do NCOs count?) could you please do me a lookup on Corporal Thomas Done of the 8th Bn, Duke of Wellington's (West Riding Regt). His service No was 12029 and he died on 11/08/1917 at Ypres. I suspect this could be my Mum's great uncle.

Many thanks,

Carolyn

A corporal is a non commissioned officer (NCO) so appears on the soldiers list.

SDGW shows he was born in Leeds, enlisted in Huddersfield and was living in LEES (though I suggest that this may be a typo and should be Leeds).

was living in LEES (though I suggest that this may be a typo and should be Leeds).

He could have lived in Lees (neighborhood) which is about 25 miles from Huddersfield, and I think there is a place called Lees to the west (ish) of Oldham.

Thanks for the information, it's much appreciated. I suspect that the place of BIRTH is a typo as the Thomas Done I am enquiring about was born and lived in Lees near Oldham. As far as I am aware, there was only one Done family in Lees (it is quite a small village) so it looks like this is indeed Uncle Tom. I do know that there are graves of servicemen from this regiment in Lees Cemetary.

Thanks again,

Carolyn :)

• 4 months later...

Puzzling......

I finally confirmed that this was definiteley Uncle Tom last weekend when I found details of his death in the microfilm copies of the Oldham Chronicle.

However, he was referred to (by his father, the newspaper and his Chaplain) as Sergeant - I'm confused? It would appear that CWGC and SDGW have him down as being a Corporal.

Did this happen a lot. I suspect he may have been promoted while in the trenches and was never made official? Perhaps the MICs will shed a little more light on his rank when they are made available (D's!) next month.

Any ideas, or am I going to have to wait until I go digging at the PRO?