Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

16826 Pte Aaron Sturr

Guest Bubs

According to the CWGC, my Grand Mother's brother, who was serving with 6th Bn Somerset LI, died on the on 16th August 1916. His name is on the Thiepval Memorial and his Army records state that he was killed in action on the 16th. I checked the war diaries for that month and found that on the 14th Aug - 4 Other Ranks were KIA. On 15th Aug - 2 Other Ranks were KIA. But on 16th Aug "A working party of 250 was again sent up to Delville Wood", there were no casualties reported.

I was told by CWGC that his body was never found that is why his name is on the Thiepval Memorial.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

The way I see it is either:

1) He was one of the injured on the 14th or 15th, then died of wounds on the 16th. In this case where are his remains.

2) Was on the working party of 250 and some how "disappeared". In this case would it be shown in the war dairy as MIA or AWOL?

Got any Ideas?

Cheers Bubs

Considering the amount of action in and near Delville Wood at the time in question I would not be surprised if the 'official' report was in error. 250 men sent as a working party would in all likelihood suffer some casualties in the process. In my study of the German army units on the Somme there are often several different accounts of certain actions and conflicting dates on the death of individual soldiers. Just an opinion.

Ralph

War diaries are an excellent source, but are not infallible. It is more than likely that not every casualty was recorded, especially when it took place outside a battalion's usual operating area. And if the working party had been shelled, then that would certainly be a reason for a body to disappear. Even if he had been buried and his grave marked, subsequent shelling could destroy the grave.

SDGW indicates that 2 OR's from 6th Bn SLI were KIA on 16th August 1916, both of whom are commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial:

Private 16826 Aaron Sturr

Private 21418 Horace Wingate

In contrast to the Battalion War Diary none are recorded as KIA on 15th August. However, the Regimental History of the SLI indicates that for both on the nights of 15th and 16th August the Battalion supplied a working party of 250 men which was sent up to Delville Wood to dig all night.

As indicated previously War Diaries are not infallible. I would suspect that both men were KIA on either night.

The Regimental History also indicates that the operational orders received by 6th Bn on 16th August for their attack on Delville Wood on 18th/19th were destroyed "owing to the close proximity of the enemy and the likelihood of a counter-attack". It is quite feasible in such circumstances that the battalion diary was written up after the event a few days later.

Regards

Marc