Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
Bantamenace

3rd entrenching battalion

Bantamenace

During my research i have found that men were drafted into the entrenching battalions. Does anybody know where these battalions served, especially the 3rd entrenching battalion.

thanks

Dave

Wienand Drenth

Hello Dave,

Early 1918 the number of battalions per infantry brigade was reduced from four to three. The surplus men thus gained and not immediately required as reinforcements were formed into Entrenching Battalions. Since in March 1918 the German spring offensive took place, many of the battalions were doing front line service. By the end of April all had been dissolved, with its men absorbed by infantry battalions.

Elements of the following battalions formed into the 3rd Entrenching Battalion:

1/3rd, 1/9th and 1/12th Bns, The London Regt, 6th Bn, The Border Regt, 1/5th Bn, The Loyal Regt, 1/4th Bn, The East Lancs Regt, 1/9th Bn, The Manchester Regt, 2/6th, 16th and 18th Bns, The West Yorks Regt, 8th Bn, The West Riding Regt, 1/6th and 9th Bns, The Lancs Fusiliers, 1/8th and 1/9th Bns, The King's Regt, 1/4th Bn, The Lincolnshire Regt, 1/5th Bn, The North Staffordshire Regt, 1/7th Bn, The Sherwood Foresters.

Of course, at the main website you will find similar info :)

Cheers,

Wienand

charlesmessenger

Wienand is referring to the second batch of Entrenching bns. The first batch began to form in early summer 1915 as a means of providing additional labour for the Royal Engineers, for holding drafts while the battalions for which they were bound were in the trenches, and also to give new drafts time to acclimatise to shell fire, etc. They had all been disbanded, because of shortages of manpower, by the end of autumn 1917.

Charles M

Dogflud

I am interested in a man whose MIC states Entrenching Battalion between two stints with West Yorks.

He was originally with 1/5th bn but on the listing on the main site there is no mention of this battalion giving up men for the Entrenching bn. Does this mean that my man was posted to different battalion prior to being fed to the entrenching unit or is it possible that the listing on the main site is not complete?

His general MIC is listed here. He also has an MM card but that only gives his 6 digit number and doesnt refer to the entrenching battalion.

Documents Online

Hints and pointers to the usual address!

Cheers,

Nigel

charlesmessenger

Nigel

Please see my previous post (No 3 on this thread). Your man was probably temporarily a member of one of the first wave of Entrenching bns and not those created in early 1918 and which are the subject of the main site.

Charles M

Dogflud

Thank you Charles.

That will give me somethnig to work with.

Nigel

mikebriggs

Nigel and Charles

Here is the MIC and as you can see he doesn't have a 14-15 Star - could that mean he was in the one of the last of the first wave of Entrenching Battns?

post-4619-1179268481.jpg

His Regt'l number and Battn (1/5th) suggests a Territorial Force man, but the number is quite high (ie early 1916 enlistment?) prior to the 1917 renumbering (202759). Can we assume he entered France late 1916 with the 1/5th, joined an entrenching Battn, but was back with 1/5th in time for his renumbering?

I wonder why his Regt'l number was changed for the Ent Battn?

The Medal Roles themselves might throw more light on this of course

cheers

Mike

charlesmessenger

Mike

I have been puzzling as to why he should receive another number while with an Entrenching battalion. It was the Infantry Base Depots which allocated men to battalions and gave them their new regimental numbers. I don't know how the West Yorks numbering system worked (maybe an expert can tell us), but I can only surmise that he left the IBD bound for a particular bn of the West Yorks or other regiment, went to an Entrenching bn and found himself as a member of its small permanent staff. Possibly when that bn was disbanded (at some time during 1917) he returned to the West Yorks.

Obviously his service record, which would shed much light, does not survive?

Charles

Dogflud

Chjarles I can't say one way or the other as to whether his service record survives.

My way of working is a bit backwards for most people. I tend to research a social history of a man before going for the military service side of a mans life.

With Lewis Lockwood both prongs of the research are still very much in the early days. Shameful really when you consider I've had his medals for over 10 years now!

I will let you know before too long if his records survived, and if they do surivive what information is contained therein.

Thank you for your response to this query though, I've already learned a lot.

Nigel