Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Identity Discs, dog tags, what nationality?

grantsmil

While still hunting through some military junk, a most enjoyable past-time, I found a pair of identity discs. They appear to be the pattern used by commonwealth nations, but they do not correspond to the only pattern that I am familiar with, the Australian pattern. Or to be more precise, the method of marking the discs does not correspond to the usual Australian style.

They are marked;

105145 FWV PANZERA

SGT CON

Both have had something deleted from the centre, the red disc has the S and then the rest has been punched out. The 8 sided one has had something punched out and 'SGT' then stamped in later (not as much dirt in the SGT & it is not as sharp)

If anyone has any ideas as to the nationality I would be grateful. I would also be keen to fid out why something would have been deleted from these discs.

post-6040-1143465140.jpg

Thanks "barrieduncan"

The web site supports my supposition that these are Commonwealth, but these do not correspond with any of the examples shown. I guess that they could be post-WW1?

I guess that they could be post-WW1?

They're definately post-WW1 and date from the 1920-1950 period (and the latter decade of this, as a guess , ie. 1940's). If they're British, they belonged to a member of the RASC. They're definately not Australian , Canadian, New Zealander, Indian or any of the "Free Forces", but there's a possibility that they could be South African or similar.

Strange name "Panzera". I wonder if he's any relation to Col.F.W.Panzera who died in 1917? He had links with Bechuanaland.

Dave.

Excellent site by the way Dave :)

Excellent site by the way Dave :)

Thanks for that. I appreciate it.

dave. :)

• 4 months later...

I certainly is a good site - just used it to help identify a disc I have, very useful.

Guest gumbirsingpun

altough im na a leading expert in the field of dogtags,i make bold to say that these two id discs shown in the picture are definitely standard early WW2 issue

regards

tuna

CON - Congregationist

Mick

Archived