Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

How many ww1 vets are there left?

trenchwalker

at last count in november last year there were 43 in november last year. two of which were middlesex regiment since then one has passed away.how does the number stand now.

43 poilus alive in France at the last count taken about three months ago;

• 1 month later...

I've heard there are around twenty seven British soldiers, sailors and airmen left from the Great War

I understand in January there were between 33 and 36 but I saw an article in the paper this week that gave a mid-20's figure. This is only those known and soemone else worked it out that there was probably double the January figure. I think it is all in the earlier thread already referred to.

Two Belgian vets left, of whom one lives in the States. Only one remaining veteran from Alsace who fought under German colours (no choice at the time). 36 French vets left according to the news last Tuesday.

Christina

I believe I'm correct in saying that there are no longer any WWi Western Australian vets alive . I'm not sure about the other states , but it must be precious little .

Makes me feel a little ashamed with my selfishness , that I feel sad because I will never get the chance to meet any W.A. vets .

When I was a boy I used to daydream about hosting private dinner party's ( o.k., i was a red blooded aussie boy so I had other daydreams aswell , but lets stick to these ones :) ) . I would dream about having maybe Lanoe Hawker and Manfred v R at the same table and hearing them talk to each other . Same for Werner Voss and Arthur Rhys-Davids . Just as they were when they were brought down and killed . I would get quite involved in the thinking for these dinner party's and imagine that I wouldn't be able to let any of them know how the war progressed . I suppose it was just that many times one scout ( fighter ) pilot takes anothers life , and yet they probably have many things in common .....

Ooops...I'm rambling again ....yes no W.A. vets left .

Phil.

I believe I'm correct in saying that there are no longer any WWi Western Australian vets alive . I'm not sure about the other states , but it must be precious little .

Makes me feel a little ashamed with my selfishness , that I feel sad because I will never get the chance to meet any W.A. vets .

When I was a boy I used to daydream about hosting private dinner party's ( o.k., i was a red blooded aussie boy so I had other daydreams aswell , but lets stick to these ones :) ) . I would dream about having maybe Lanoe Hawker and Manfred v R at the same table and hearing them talk to each other . Same for Werner Voss and Arthur Rhys-Davids . Just as they were when they were brought down and killed . I would get quite involved in the thinking for these dinner party's and imagine that I wouldn't be able to let any of them know how the war progressed . I suppose it was just that many times one scout ( fighter ) pilot takes anothers life , and yet they probably have many things in common .....

Ooops...I'm rambling again ....yes no W.A. vets left .

Phil.

Hi Phil

As far as I'm aware there is one WA Veteran left. Peter Casserley who served in the 2nd Light Railway Company and was wounded in 1917 is still alive at last account living with his wife in White Gum Valley. I think he's about 104.

There are 7 in Australia in total, with 2 in NSW, 2 in Qld and I think 2 in Victoria.

Plus the British Veteran Jonas 'Pop' Hart of the Essex Regiment lives in a Retirement Village nearby Fremantle in Willagee.

Cheers

Andrew

Hi Andrew

Thanks for that imfo on the W.A. vet . I got my imformation from a news story , which is always a bit of a dodgie thing to listen to on history . I'm glad to hear we still have one .

Thanks again .

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

Trench

An article by Max arthur in this month's copy of Legion has the count as 26 as of Remembrance Sunday this year.

The youngest (aged 103) was present when the German Fleet surrendered.

Garth

after meeting max arthur on monday he said there are 24

2 have died since last count.

I wonder who really knows! The article by Robert Hardman in the Daily Mail on 8th Nov quoted 27 (which might be 25 now). A good essay interviewing Henry Allingham whom it says is the oldest veteran and Max also told me this earlier this month. I hope he is still around?

We in the UK never had a "Veterans' Affairs" department like some other countries, and so there wasn't any centrally held register of who did what. (Leastways, I don't think there was.) I wonder if there are any old chaps living quietly by themselves, or in care, who have no relatives to pass on information about them, men who did serve in the Great War but nobody knows that?

Tom

Same is true in USA, they used to show up, dead, all the time that no one interested in WW1 knew of but it's pretty much over now, 1 in Kentucky, 103 year old Robley Rex and no surprise man for at least 2 years.

Interesting comment in tonight's BBC2 programme - there are no Gallipoli veterans surviving anymore.

I believe the last known British Gallipoli veteran to die was Percy Gorring who died in Bunbury Western Australia a year or so ago.

The last Australian Gallipoli veteran was Alec Campbell.

I saw a report today that the Veteran's Association says there are 44 in the USA and that is a reasonable guess but we really do not know with no central register. Many men go a life time with no contact with them, I have had none and do not want to, they are a pain in the ass.

I saw a report today that the Veteran's Association says there are 44 in the USA

if there are 44 how many of them are battle vertrens?

Just a guess, 20, most would likely not left USA, we had well over 4 million in unifrom, 2 mil reached France, nearly 1 million fought in Muese Argonne battle.

I have said it many times but get The Test of Battle by my late friend Paul Braim, it's warts and all about US there, it pisses off those who want the sugar coated version.

The US situation is particularly confused for several reasons:

1. Voluntary membership of associations. In essence you need to register to be noticed, and most do/did not. The US Dept of Veterans affairs had 44 people on their books a couple of months ago (probably in the high 30's now) + 2 Mexicans now resident in the US, but they acknowledge that is a minimal figure. Their best estimate is between 200 and 400 vets, depending on what you count (enlisted but never went O/S, went to France but never got out of the depot, went and saw action.)

2. Acceptance of service after 11/11/18. The US accepts Service in Russia between 1919 and 1922 as WW1 service. That boosts the numbers somewhat.

Stories crop up all the time of this or that person celebrating their 104th birthday and recounting thier WW1 memories. I've been trying to gather together as much info as I can, but the situation is obviously unclear. There are many regional veterans associations, one of the better ones being based in North Texas. Their catchment area is perhaps 2% of the US population, and from memory they have about 10 vets on their books, including, for example, a woman who served as a General's P.A. in Washington. Is she a "veteran"? Beats me. But that would suggest that their 200-400 is reasonably solid.

Sorry if this seems a little cold, but the current death rate is a little over 50% per year. That would suggest the last Brit will probably die around 2007-8, and the last US vet in perhaps 2011-12.

Tom Morgans comment is particularly pertinent. Of the 24+1(in NZ)+1(in Oz) British veterans, Jonas Hart only went to his first Remembrance Day celebration this year, basically turning up out of the blue, if the tagblatts are to be believed. So perhaps there are a few others lurking in a shellhole somewhere.