Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Wiltshire Battalions Mystery

Guest Simon Lazenby

Guest Simon Lazenby

Thanks to some generous help I now have a photo of the medal rolls but it has only added to the mystery.

My Grandfather died on 31 May 1918 near Soissons, France. CWGC lists him as 2nd Wilts which fits as they were in action in that area but the medal rolls show him as 6th Wilts who were training at the time in Belgium.

This is all part of a search to find out how he went from KRRC who he enlisted with near the end of 1915, I now know this was the 20th Batt' which does seem to fit with their history.

But at some stage he was wounded and returned to the UK at 2nd Western General Hospital Manchester where he was in October 1917.

Can anyone suggest where to go from here with my search as I would really like to known how he got from one place to the other?

Can anyone offer a lookup in the National Roll of Honour?

Many Thanks,

Simon

Your Grandfather would have been in 6th Wilts originally, but as this extract from their War Diary shows they were nearly all transferred to 2nd Wilts, except for a Training Cadre. That will explain the 2nd and 6th Wilts bit as for the rest of the query, sorry can't help.

6th Wiltshire Monday 13th May 1918 Belgium, Nr. Herzeele

Battalion absorbed into the 2nd Battalion. Training staff of 6th Battn proceeded to 30th Division

Not really. I've looked at the War Diary to see when they recieved reinforcements but that doesn't help as it doesn't name anyone and I've also tried finding men with a service number close to your Grandad's (27720 for anyone who wants to join in) in SDGW but that's not helping much either. I'll keeep looking but don't hold out much hope.

I've found this chap.

Name: HOLDING, SIDNEY

Initials: S

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Wiltshire Regiment

Unit Text: 6th Bn.

Date of Death: 20/04/1918

Service No: 27716

Additional information: Son of Mr. and Mrs. Holding, of Camberwell, London.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: XI. D. 9.

Cemetery: WIMEREUX COMMUNAL CEMETERY

In SDGW it says this chap was formerly K23340, King's Royal Rifle Corps.

So it looks like your Grandad was with other KRRC men transfered to the 6th Wilts.

Another ex-KRRC man, formerly R/8372 KRRC

Name: STOUT

Initials: F H

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Wiltshire Regiment

Unit Text: 6th (Wiltshire Yeomanry) Bn.

Date of Death: 17/07/1918

Service No: 27728

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: VIII. F. 13.

Cemetery: COLOGNE SOUTHERN CEMETERY

Looking through SDGW for Numbers in the 277** and 278** they are all "formerly *** of the ** Regt" so it looks like they had at one time a clear-out of the Infantry Base Camps and sent a large draft to the Wiltshires. When you ask?....I'll find out.

From 6th Wilts War Diary, mentions of reinforcements.

12th April 1918. Rossignol Camp near Kemmel.270 reinforcements waiting here & the Battn was re-organised mustering 450 strong.

23rd March 1918. Reinforcements of 81 O.Ranks left at 7pm to join remnants of Battalion holding the line.

As the Bn would have severe casualties fighting in the German Spring Offensive that is why so many men of other Regiments would have been sent to the Wiltshires.

I don't think your Grandad would have got to the Bn any earlier than this if he was in Hospital in Oct.17.

Other mentions of reinforcements from earlier than that are;

18/1/1918 Draft of 12 other ranks joined.

10/11/1917 Draft of 45 other ranks joined.

6/11/1917 Draft of 16 other ranks joined.

Still I think these are too early for Grandad.

Guest Simon Lazenby

Thanks Owen

He was previously R/28636 20th KRRC. So looks as if there is a good match for the reinforcements.

Simon