Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

did a v.c winner save Hitler?

trenchwalker

I am sorry trenchwalker, but the Hitler-Tandey story is just rubbish in my eyes. Hitler was not wounded at First Ypres or Marcoing when engaging the Green Howards, so this story just can't be true. Besides, Hitler being a messenger, it was impossible for a British soldier to see Hitler, who was running between headquarters.

Regards,

Jan

I must agree with the above posts. Tandey settled in my home town of Coventry after leaving the army, and try as I might I have never been able to substantiate any of this. Interestingly, the author of the web article quotes one of the sources as a 1940 Coventry newspaper, the Sunday Graphic. The city has never had a Sunday paper, let alone one of this name. The nearest he could have got is the Coventry and Warwickshire Graphic which went out of business at the end of 1922!

Terry Reeves

I started the earlier thread called 'Henry Tandy VC : Did he save Hitler' in June this year. I was prompted by a chapter in a Warwickshire local history publication which went over much of the same ground as the webpage but without the source references (spurious or otherwise!). This is a good example of an apparently well-researched and referenced internet article which is in fact nothing of the kind. The trouble is that many people still take stuff they read on the Internet at face value. I have spent many happy hours for example trying to convince some of my pupils that man really did land on the moon despite what they have read on 'Moonconspiracy.com' or whatever.

ok,ok

its just where i work we do a piece about what happened in the great war for this weekend i put in the date which was the 28th of september which was the date it was won. that was the first time i have herd this story.now i think of it ,it is very far fetched.