Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

17th London Regiment

Terry_Egalton

Hi,

I'm researching a soldier, Sjt Henry Noe DCM, who served in the above unit but can't find any unit histories. I'm mainly interested in their time with the 30th Division and the action at Helchin where Sjt Noe won his DCM. I've checked the war diary of the 2/17th but it says next to nothing about the action.

So, does any Pal know where I can get any info and is there a unit history?

Regards

Terry

Greenwoodman, thanks for checking. Would you happen top know if the 2nd South Lancashire Regiment have a history? They were in the same Brigade as the 2/17th and were involved at Helchin. I have their diary for October 18 and they mention the 2/17th but not in any detail.

By the way, they where in the 89th Brigade.

Thanks in advance.

Terry

Re 2nd South Lancs - no history, I believe. Although I'm never 100% sure with "Armies of the Crown". The CD is one of the most difficult to use that I have.

I'm sure you know that the 89th Brigade's history has recently been re-published?

No history of 2/17 Londons or 17th Londons, or 2nd South Lancs, as mentioned above, but there is a general South Lancs regimental history, which is actually quite good on detail... I believe it has been reprinted by Naval & Military Press.

there is a general South Lancs regimental history, which is actually quite good on detail... I believe it has been reprinted by Naval & Military Press.

It is also available from the people who got it re-printed in the first place - The QLR Museum and archives in Preston, for the same price. However, if bought from Preston, a proportion of the money from the sale goes to the upkeep of the museum and archives. Far more worthwhile to do it this way, I'd think!

By the way, it's called "Ich Dien" and covers 1914 - 1934.

Dave.

Thanks Guys!

Greenwoodman, I had no idea the 89th Brigade had a history. I'll have to buy a copy. Thanks again for taking the time.

Paul, thanks for the info I'll check it out.

Croonaert, would you happen to have a phone number for the museum?

Regards

Terry

Terry.

I think it's 01772 260362.

Dave.