Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"Experiences in the Dardanelles" by E Peabody

steve fuller

Hi Pals

Anyone got a copy of the above book, as Im having trouble finding one & woudl like to know if its worth my time continuing the search?

Cheers

Steve

Dear Steve,

Never came across thsi title before.

Would also be interested to know maore about this book.

eric

saw it in a catalouge a little while ago will try to find out who/when

regards john

Have tried unsuccessfully all the Book Searches I know. I, too, would be most interested in knowing more about it, please,

Bob

Thanks everyone

To clarify, the title is "Experiences of the first-fifth Bedfords in the Dardanelles" and was published around 1920, so its probably pretty rare by now, hence the lack of success. The NA library hasnt even got one. Tough one ot crack it would seem!

Cheers for everyones help :D

Steve

Steve,

Is this different to "The Story of the First-Fifth Bedfords," by Edmund Rimmer published 1917, Co-operative Wholesale Society's Printing Works, Longsight?

Yes Bob it is mate. Got that one but cant put my finger on Mr Peabody at all!!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, Steve;

I ran searches in the catalogs of the Library of Congress (the biggest lib in the US), the New York Public Library (one of the very largest, and not really a public library), and the University of Pennsylvania (my wife works in the Van Pelt Library there, which has 7 million books; the university also has 15 other libraries). Also, on a whim, hit abebooks.com, which covers about 70 million used books.

No hits.

However, things are slow at the lib, so I have set my super-librarian spousal unit to work on it. She has world-wide search tools that us mere mortals can only dream about, like a single catalog/search engine that covers the main libraries of Germany and Switzerland and half those of Austria, not bad if you are looking for a German-language book.

Will report when I get feedback.

Bob Lembke

PS: Just as I was going to launch this post, the Librarian-of-Fortune called. She could not get a hit. (She has been doing this for 25 years, the last 20 as an international aquisition librarian.) However, one of her international search engines is down today. She will take a few more shots.

She warns the obvious; it likely is an unpublished/uncataloged manuscript of some sort, possibly sitting on a dusty shelf at some regimental museum or local historical society.

You could try emailing "Krithia" - I know his personal ambition is to collect every book ever written on Gallipoli/Dardanelles.

Steve,

Have you tried placing an ad in the county newspaper? Someone may have a copy that belonged to Grandad, sitting on a shelf as the above poster mentioned.

Cheers

Kim

Thanks all, Ill try krithia & local papers. Whenever I go mooching around antiques fairs, I always have a look but its the the proverbial rocking horse doo-da ...

Thanks all, Ill try krithia & local papers. Whenever I go mooching around antiques fairs, I always have a look but its the the proverbial rocking horse doo-da ...

i am searching thro some book catalogues as i am positive this book was offered some time ago, what makes me sure is that it was offered on E-BAY and i did bid on it but lost out to this dealer

regards John

Ebay? Blimey; just goes to show what unusual stuff comes up there!!