Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Army Post Office 1912

Moonraker

Any army postal history experts among the Pals, perhaps with access to E B Proud, History of the British Army Postal Service vol 2 (1903-1927)_?

I would like to know where APO postmark 9 was used at the end of August 1912.

And if you know where APO 5 was for the same period, you're a star cos I gather it's not listed by proud.

(I believe Proud's work is the definitive reference work, but it''s not one readily available at short notice; my notes taken from it don't include the above.)

Thanks

Moonraker

I know a member of the Forces Postal History Society (who isn't a member of this Forum) and will ask him for you. He works in Central Asia, but is due home this week - so it may take a few days.

Mick

Moonraker,

My FPHS friend says that both APO 9 and APO 5 are listed for 'manoeuvres in the Cambridge area 9-14 September 1912', so were probably also there at the end of August.

Hope that helps.

Regards

Mick

Moonraker,

My FPHS friend says that both APO 9 and APO 5 are listed for 'manoeuvres in the Cambridge area 9-14 September 1912', so were probably also there at the end of August.

Hope that helps.

Regards

Mick

Thanks Mick. Having consulted Proud and similar works some time ago, my impression is that they provide a very useful basis, but with unrecorded postmarks coming to light since they were published they need to be treated carefully - and no doubt the FPHS has its own updated records.

Moonraker