Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Donald Morrison - Navy

Ryukyu

My Great grandfather, Donald Morrison, was born February 15th 1877, Son of Malcolm and Henrietta Morrison, Bernera(y), Harris, Inverness-shire. In 1907 he married Alex(andr)ina and served in the First world war, where he was lost at sea.

Having exhausted www.Scotlandspeople.gov.uk, www.snwm.co.uk, www.cwgc.org.uk, www.Nationalarchives.gov.uk etc, i am stuck and need all the help i can get.

I had a look at ages etc, and thought he might have had one of the following service numbers...

14665 D A

3346 B

3541 C

2491 B

My Mum tol me he was a Seaman, which would rule the first number out as he was a deck hand, but im probably way off anyway. Does anybody have any suggestions as to what i should try. I found a Donald Morrison on NA but the date was 1881?? Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Ewan MacRae

I would say he was an RNR rating judging by the ON's( Official numbers) that you have quoted Ewan.

The RNR Service records are in the PRO in the BT 164 (pre 1914) & 377(post '14) Series.

I do not think these SR's are available on line tho.

Bryan

• 11 months later...

I am sorry I did not see this request at first time of asking and perhaps you have been able to identify the correct person.

I can identify three of the numbers for you:

14665DA was Donald Morrison DH RNR on HMS Pontefract from 24 South Bragar, Isle of Lewis, who died on 26.10.1919

3541C was Donald Morrison SMN RNR on HMS Flicker from 41 South Shawbost, Isle of Lewis, who died on 04.03.1916

2391B (not 2491B) was Donald Morrison Smn RNR on HMS Invincible from 9 Calbost, Isle of Lewis, who died on 31.05.1916

The remaining Donald Morrison, 3346B, Acting L/Smn RNR on SS Cape Finistere (Gunner) died on 02.11.1917. I believe that this individual could very well be your relative.

I have checked and cross referenced all Donald Morrisons serving in the Royal Navy that were born in Scotland and can list addresses for them all except this individual. This was done via the Scottish National War Memorial website.

The Royal Navy Records Office would confirm whether this is him.

Regards

Malcolm Macdonald

Name: MORRISON, DONALD

Initials: D

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Naval Reserve

Unit Text: S.S. "Cape Finisterre."

Date of Death: 02/11/1917

Service No: 3346B

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: 26.

Memorial: CHATHAM NAVAL MEMORIAL

From CWGC site. Chatham memorial is for men with no known grave, ie lost at sea.

Regards

Phil

The RNR cards (on microfiche at Kew) will give you his address and the names of his parents.

The 'B' indicates that he had already completed at least 5 years in the RNR. 'C' show that seaman had served at least 10 years.

Ewen

s.s.CAPE FINISTERRE 4380 GRT sunk on 02.11.1917 1 mile SW of Falmouth Harbour,by submarine. Vessel ex-New York via Falmouth to Mounts Bay with steel billets.

Your man,if indeed it is your man, must have been a DEMS gunner on board.

This info from Lloyd's Losses 1914-1918.

Best wishes

Sotonmate

Wow, i thought this line of enquiry had been exhausted, then this! He was lost at sea, so the Chatham memorial fits, and am follwing up date of death to confirm. Thanks so much to everyone who has had a look on my behalf. We do have a picture of him and a death plaque, but that was all, couldn't find any information, but now i can really start. Thank you one and all again.

Wow, i thought this line of enquiry had been exhausted, then this! He was lost at sea, so the Chatham memorial fits, and am follwing up date of death to confirm. Thanks so much to everyone who has had a look on my behalf. We do have a picture of him and a death plaque, but that was all, couldn't find any information, but now i can really start. Thank you one and all again.

Ryukyu,

The Cape Finisterre, built 1907 was sunk by torpedo from U-boat UC 17.

The Admiralty record for Donald Morrison has:

MORRISON, DONALD, A/L/SEAMAN, RNR, B 3346, S.S. CAPE FINISTERRE, died 02-Nov-17, SUBMARINE ACTION.

Best wishes

David

• 4 weeks later...

Well, from norhing to everything, thanks to all of the above, and to per ardua per mare per terram who looked at Kew, and all those who checked the other records. He was B3346 RNR, and my Mother and Uncle are his last relatives, i will pass that info on and they will be very happy to get it. Many thanks once again, this site is unbelievable.

Archived